Author Topic: SuperBowl Brisket! (First Brisket Attempt)  (Read 17378 times)

rycofit

SuperBowl Brisket! (First Brisket Attempt)
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
Going to attempt my first brisket smoke for the SuperBowl!  I have been wanting to smoke a brisket for awhile in my SI1 and now is my chance.  I have been doing a ton of reading here on the forum and this is the plan.

I am getting a 9-10# Packers Cut from my friends dad who owns a Kosher Butcher shop in the north suburbs of Chicago.  Planning on injecting it Friday night with Low Sodium Beef Broth and a mixture of Jeff's Texas Style Rub (Smoking-meat.com).  Soaking it overnight with the injection juice and rub in a ziploc bag in the fridge.  After letting it soak over night in a ziploc bag should I add additional rub with mustard before putting it in the smoker?

Using the 1.5 hours per pound calculation the smoke should take 15 hours (or hopefully less) with the Smoker set at 225 with either water or apple juice next to the heating element to add moisture.  I was planning on pulling it when the internal temps reach 190.  Then wrapping it and sticking it in a cooler with towels for 1-2 hours.

Questions:
1. How much wood do you use for a brisket?
2. Water or Apple Juice for moisture in the smoker?
3. Is 1.5 Hours per pound what I should be estimating for time?
4. I am missing anything?
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: SuperBowl Brisket! (First Brisket Attempt)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »
Hi Judd, check out the brined and injected Brisket from Divotmaker. You won't be sorry. I would use 5 oz wood, apple juice (although water is fine), and I would figure 2 hrs per pound (if done early you can "hold" it) so you won't have angry eaters. With your couple of hours rest period, you should be fine. There is differences in time based on the meat, even for the same cut, which adds variability. The point is it's done when it's done... post pics of the result!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:59:43 PM »
For as much that goes on during Super Bowl Sunday, I'd probably do a Saturday smoke and re-warm for Sunday.  Brisket re-warms well in its juices from the smoke. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

rycofit

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 02:22:39 PM »
Dave I was planning on starting the smoke Saturday morning so I don't run into a time crunch!  Thanks for the advise.
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
Excellent idea. That way you know your food will be ready.

Plus, often times reheated smoked food can taste even better than it did out of the smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »
I think SuperDave is on the money here.   I see the briskets at my butcher shop every week, and I really want to try one, but so far I have settled for the chicken or ribs - comfort zone.   I need to branch out and get this brisket on the smoker!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:58:49 PM »
Steve, briskets are easy. Try the franklin method.  I agree saturday is cook day, then reheat on sunday.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 08:03:19 PM »
I would put that thing in the smoker Saturday evening. On Sunday, depending on how early it's done, double-wrap in foil and keep warm at 140 in your smoker for several hours and rest for 2 hours, or remove and reaheat if it's way early. It seems like every time you do a brisket or butt for company, it's never done early enough. Error on the side of being done early. Brisket holds well. As far as the water pan, it really doesn't matter much if you use apple juice or water. It won't impart much flavor during smoking. I just use apple juice, and save it from the water pan, since it sometimes comes in handy as a flavorful liquid to add for reheating, or to add to portions when freezing.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

rycofit

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 08:19:05 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  My plan is to start smoking Saturday around 1-2:00 so it will hopefully be done Sunday mid morning.  Our Suberbowl party is just up the street at 5:30 so I should have plenty of time if needed.
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

rycofit

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »
I'll post pics once I start.
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
In addition, I wouldn't pull it out until 195 minimum (instead of 190). 200-205 is still fine. 195-205 is the magic range in my opinion. 195 being the best with a minimum 2+ hour double-foil wrap in a cooler and/or layers of towels.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

rycofit

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »
Quick question:  When starting the brisket in the smoker do I set the smoker to 225 right away or should I start it at a lower temp for a hour or two and then turn it up to 225?
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

Limey

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
A lot of folks seem to start at 150-170 for 30-45 minutes and then go to 225. They do this in order to avoid the dreaded belch without using a foil boat. Personally I have never had problems with the belch and I don't foil either, just go to my smoke temperature. There, I have probably jinxed myself!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
Judd....I just set for my desired smoke temp; I don't sue the ramp up method.   Try setting for 225 and see how it goes.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 12:27:48 PM »
I would always try the easiest thing first. Straight to 225, no foil boat around wood. See how that works. Why make extra work for yourself if you don't have to? If you are going to get a belch, you will probably notice it in the first hour (I have a #1, and if it happens, it is around 40 minutes in.) If it happens, sounds like it's no big deal. Doesn't hurt anything. Just don't have your face over the hole, or panic and open the door. Let it keep going. If you get a belch, you can always try the foil boats next time. I started using foil boats and go straight to 225, and don't get a belch. I don't do the ramp up method. Eventually I'm going to try again without the foil boats as my smoker gets more seasoning built up.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide