Author Topic: Where do you place your wood chunk in the smoke box?  (Read 2788 times)

Barrel99

Where do you place your wood chunk in the smoke box?
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
Here is something I tried that I feel helps me get even a better smoke. Maybe it can help you too.

I have a #3. In experimenting with chunks, pellets and chips I noticed something interesting. When I laid out a layer of pellets on the chip tray in the smoker box and smoked, when I was finished I had a complete range of cooked pellets from ash which was closest to the back of the smoker through pellets which had little or no burn in the front of the smoker where the element is coldest.

I have always put my chunks in the back and have had excellent results. I also noticed in my exploration though, that when the wood would begin to burn, it had the amazing fruit smell and TBS.  I would just sit and soak up that fantastic smell. However, after it really started perking, I noticed that the smell changed to a harsher burned wood (not combustion) smell and that the TBS changed to a different color. I noticed the same thing with a pile of wood chips and a pile of pellets. I never liked that. Why couldn't that TBS and fragrant smell continue through the whole process? So I decided to play with the placement of the wood chunk in the smoke box based on what I discovered with the pellets. I figured that if I could get a little less heat to the wood, I can get it just right. After trying a few times I found a spot near the middle a bit closer to the back that works real well and gives me the TBS and fragrance that I expect from chunks throughout the smoke.

Yes, it did give the food a sweeter smoke that was noticeable to me and my family. However, it was also a lighter smoke but really is excellent.

Please note that it might take longer for the wood to catch before you see smoke. I find that not using foil is helpful, but you can try with it as well. Apparently the #4 has a different heating element configuration, so it might act differently.

What other experiences have you had with wood placement?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:56:26 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Where do you place your wood chunk in the smoke box?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
With the chip screen in, the post smoke analysis points to the metal lift ring to being my hottest spot.  Since I try for a phased smoke period, I use pellets, chips and chunks so that I get an almost instant smoke from pellets and progress through the wood piece sizes.  And like I posted on the Cook Time thread, if one is midway through a double digit hour smoke and wants a little more smoke, tossing a piece/chunk in the bottom of the wood pan tray (under the element) seemed to work just fine. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

Re: Where do you place your wood chunk in the smoke box?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »
Dave I tried your "progressive burn" in my #3 with great success. In my #3 I found the best spot for the chunk was next to the lift ring on the side toward the back. Using the chip tray, I put a trail of a single layer of pellets next to the back, the hottest part, and then ran a trail of some wood chips up to the chunk. Within 10 minutes I had smoke which ultimately ended up in the beautiful TBS coming from the chunk. I then tried a trail of chips only up to the chunk and preferred that burn without pellets. Using chips and a chunk I may not need the chip tray. In both cases I could have used much less pellets and chips. No foil on the chunk.

This will be the way I smoke from now on. Thank you for the idea.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:51:07 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!