Author Topic: Thoughts on a Brined-Butt  (Read 4884 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Thoughts on a Brined-Butt
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
I made my first Brined Butt back in June or July following Divots recipient exactly. Since then I have made a few others with a smiler brine. Typically i measure the water, kosher and curing salts exactly and add sweetness and spice to taste with whatever is on hand.

With Divots Brine and a 12 hour soak the curing salt displays a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of penetration. Soaking for 24 hours as I did on yesterdays butt gave me one full inch of fake smoke ring and change in texture. Yesterdays butt was claimed to be the best one yet, but I think it could be better.

My plan for the next butt is to mix the Brine with all the ingredients except the curing salt and swim the butt for 48 hours. After the initial 48 hours, dissolve the curing salt in an additional cup of water, adding it to the brine and mixing thoroughly and soaking for 12 hours more.

I am hoping that that time frame will give me full penetration of the brines flavors and moisture completely through the meat yet only allowing partial curing of the meats surface.

The fake smoke ring we are seeing has nothing to do with smoke. That color change can happen in the oven without any smoke. if nitrates are mixed in the brine and we are only getting 1/4 to 1/2 of color then the brine only absorbed that deep, correct?

I have a bunch of leftover butt so I wont be starting this smoke for a while, butt I will try it on the next one. What are your thoughts?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Thoughts on a Brined-Butt
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:45:32 AM »
Maybe you would be better off trying the equilibrium brine method I've seen described here?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
 :) Math sucks.....
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »
Very interesting mod, Brian!  Are you planning on cutting the salt back a bit for the long swim, or leave it the same?  I think your plan is solid, for sure, just wonder about how salty it might turn out.  You're definitely right about the little dab of curing salt - no real effect, but it sure looks cool. ;)   I actually tried it to see how far the brine penetrated on a pork loin, which seemed to be a little farther than a butt (I guessed because of the leanness of the loin).

Can't wait to hear how it turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:14 PM »
I think the salt will be OK as is, that's a big hunk of meat. Butt doesn't seem to suck up the brine like poultry flesh. I know yesterday I re-seasoned with additional rub and kosher after I pulled it.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »
I bet you're right, Brian.  All that fat seems to block the penetration.  Plus, pork seems to really like salt! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:44:31 PM »
I'm still wrestling with the concept that the depth of your faux smoke ring equals brine penetration.  I'm thinking that the 2 aren't necessarily synonymous. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »
I'm still wrestling with the concept that the depth of your faux smoke ring equals brine penetration.  I'm thinking that the 2 aren't necessarily synonymous.

The way I see it, adding a "coloring agent" (in this case, nitrites) to the brine would indicate how deep the brine penetrates.  Larger components of a brine (such as spices) are not going to penetrate as deep, but solubles, such as the salt, will penetrate as deep as possible over time.  I believe the gauge of the nitrite penetration is a good indicator of the brine depth, since it is mostly salt.  I'm all ears to a theory, Dave, this is just how my mind processes it.  I suppose you could really test the theory by adding food coloring to your brine, although a nice green (or blue) "smoke ring" might freak out your dinner guests! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:43 PM »

That's why we invented calculators!  ;)
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 10:09:34 PM »

That's why we invented calculators!  ;)

Martin's (Digging Dog Farm) calculator for EQ brines is awesome!

Martin's Equilibrium Brine Calculator
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
That is pretty sweet. thanks
- Sigmund Freud

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 10:18:32 PM »
Here's a interesting read with lots of science on salt diffusion. The charts are interesting like the "Diffusion of curing salt from surface". Seems to indicate lower salt concentration for longer time will get deeper into surface.

And another that I don't feel like reading now:
http://stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/the-science-behind-brining-resource-page
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:20:25 PM by TmanEater »
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »
That is pretty sweet. thanks

If you haven't read it, I attempted to explain a basic understanding of the difference between gradient and equilibrium brines here:

Brining 101

I've always thought a brine was a brine, but had my eyes opened, by Martin, with the equilibrium brine!  I still use gradient brining (pork butt brine), but for any long-term brines, or something where I really want predictable/repeatable results, equilibrium brining is great.  Also, you don't have to worry about time in the pool with EQ brining - it will never exceed the salt level you want!
Tony from NW Arkansas