Author Topic: Sunday Surprise  (Read 4166 times)

Lionhawk

Sunday Surprise
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »
So i got everything brined up on saturday for a sunday salmon smoke.  On saturday i pulled in the wood box and covered the #2 up and left it on the deck.  I didn't check the weather for sunday (my bad) and when i woke up it was windy and snowing so i figure i'll move the smoker from deck to garage.  I get it out to the end of the garage, open the door, slide in the wood box.....only to run into a mouse!  Little guy barely even moved! so i grabbed a broom and tried sweeping him out and back into the outdoors so he could be some hawk feed.  He decided the garage was better....bad move.  i loaded up 4 snap traps with little bits of left over rib meat (since he obviously enjoyed eating burned fat and foil from my rib smoke) and set them throughout the garage.  Got him!

I found some droppings on the top of the smoker so i am assuming he crawled up the inside of the cover and dropped thru the smoke hole. I don't think there is any way he crawled thru the bottom hole, it's barely 1/4" diameter and there were droppings on the top.  It was quite surprising as i have a walk out with a 2nd level deck that is about 11 ft up.  Anyone else run into any rodents in the somker?  He's lucky i didn't torch him since he really wanted to stay in there and i barely saw him.

Keep your eyes open when you open that door fellow smokers! 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:20:47 PM by Lionhawk »
Jason from Iowa.
SI#2

Longhornamus

Re: Sunday Surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
See, this smoker does it all! Never thought to use it to attract mice.
Hmmmm, I wonder what the deer would think if I put my #2 out in the woods......

On a more serious note I have not had mine but for a few weeks. Will have to keep my eyes out for the little rascals!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
Hey, everyone loves good Q, even the mice! ;)   Funny, I've never had one in mine, as they stay on a covered porch, and I live in the country.  Funny stuff! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
Waiting for the Paul Harvey, "rest of the story" where you tell us how he tastes, smoked.   :)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:50:30 PM »
Tastes like chicken? ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Lionhawk

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »
I'd be lying if i told you it didn't cross my mind to just shut the door and crank it up.  Figured i'd give him a fighting chance though.
Jason from Iowa.
SI#2

Longhornamus

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:49:28 AM »
Mmmmmm......mouse jerky......
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »
I think I figured out why I never see mice in my smoker.  Last Saturday, I was sitting on the porch, taking pics of the nice song birds that hangout at the wife's feeders.  There was a little black & white Downey woodpecker enjoying a suet cake, when Wham!  Here comes a female sharp-shinned hawk!  She snatched him off that suet no more than 8' in front of me, then paused on an old satellite dish post to pose for me!  She's found a little "honey hole" for nice birds here, so I'm sure mice stay in the shadows!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Lionhawk

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 08:36:13 AM »
Thats awesome! I imagine she has alot of the critters arouns on notice!
Jason from Iowa.
SI#2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 07:06:32 PM »
I haven't seen her back yet, but I bet I will!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:44:14 PM »
No joke....we have the same type visitor, only this guy (attached) likes the doves....wish he would take out the squirrels!!!  He shows up at least weekly.  This photo was taken in October.  We think the hawk is in his first year as we have watched him molt feathers and the stripes are not as defined as shown in Tony's picture!!!

Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »
Cool pic!  That may be a Cooper's hawk - very similar to the sharp-shinned hawk.  Nice!
Tony from NW Arkansas