Author Topic: Things I noticed  (Read 4768 times)

beckhamk

Things I noticed
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »
Last night I smoked a brisket and with this smoke I also just got a maveric. I had the mav and auber running so I would be alerted at certain temps.    When I started the smoke for the first few hours the auber temp and the maveric temp had been the same.  In the morning the mav said 194 while the auber was reading 200. I had inserted the two probes about 1 in apart in the thickest section.  I am curious as to why there was such a temp difference at that point.    Second,  at one point into the smoke, I notice the auber reading the wall mount temp at a value higher than its set value. I had it set for 225 and it was something like 230 or 232. 

Has anyone seen this with their aubers or know what I would see that differences.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Things I noticed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »
Fire is the number 1 reason why we see an Auber box temp significantly higher than our set point.  If your chunks combust, the Auber shutting off the element doesn't have an effect on the flames/heat rumbling in the wood box.  At least that's my thoughts. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
I think Dave nailed it. The Auber cannot react quickly enough to the rapid increase in heat created by the wood combustion and the insulation of the smoker prevents the temp from going down as quickly as it rose.

There are ways to avoid the combustion or at least reduce it.

1. Wrap foil around the bottom half of your wood chunks.
2. Start you smoker at 140 and run at that temperature for 45 minutes, then ramp up to your desired smoking temperature.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

beckhamk

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:42:59 AM »
 the wood burning up would make sense, but I had them in foil and I should add that the temp differences are at the end of the smoke after 15 hours.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:49:39 PM »
Add me to the club I guess.  I saw 8 degree swing in my cook temp at hour 6 today. 

bigbassnutt

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:42 PM »
I noticed a larger variance in the smoker temps before I did the auto tune. Now most of the times its within a degree or two but have on occasion noticed it being off four or five degrees from set temp. Nothing to worry about as it has never impacted the finished product.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:33 PM »
I've got a "thing noticed" that I'd be interested to see if any others have seen.  The plug on the back of my Auber seems very loose where the SI plugs into the back of the Auber.  When I try to unplug the SI from the Auber, I'm afraid that the plug is going to come through the back of the Auber. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:22:05 PM »
I've got a "thing noticed" that I'd be interested to see if any others have seen.  The plug on the back of my Auber seems very loose where the SI plugs into the back of the Auber.  When I try to unplug the SI from the Auber, I'm afraid that the plug is going to come through the back of the Auber.

I actually experienced the same thing with the Auber 1200GPH.  Take the trim ring off the back (snaps off), and remove the 4 screws holding the back plate on.  You can the re-seat the tabs on the plug.  Mine had some excess silicone that was preventing the tabs from seating right.  Easy fix.  I think this occurred in some of the early production models - looks like they got in a bit of a hurry!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
Thanks!