Author Topic: Sausage & Meat Curing Recipe Template w/Scaling & Calculators......  (Read 6492 times)

DiggingDogFarm

FWIW, Below is a spreadsheet recipe template that I put together, I thought that some folks may find it useful.

It includes three types of scaling and additional calculators.

It's intended to be used with gram measurements only for best accuracy, especially when scaling.

An accurate gram scale should be used (preferably high resolution.)

Before starting, click “File” in the upper left and then “Save as...” (or equivalent) to name the new spreadsheet and save the original template.

The green column is the batch multiplier...change the number in the upper green box (cell G3) to take the numbers in the base recipe “Amount” column and multiple them by cell G3 to get the scaled ingredient amounts. Example multipliers, "0.5" for half a batch, "2" to double the batch, etc. etc. etc.

The yellow column is the meat weight scaler, enter the weight of meat on hand in to the upper yellow box (cell G4) to  take the numbers in the base recipe “Amount” column and multiple them by cell G4 to get the scaled ingredient amounts.

There's a Baker's Percents column to the right as an additional scaling option.

I've also included a sample recipe in the same file to demonstrate some of the options.

Please inform me of any errors.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Please let me know what you think.

Here's a screen shot of the template:

Here's a screenshot of the example recipe:

In the above example the the scalers are used as well as the cure calculator. The cure calculator was used to to adjust the salt in the recipe to 1.8%, the 15.66 grams of salt from the calculator was entered into the "Amount" column of the base recipe.

Click to download template in Microsoft Excel .xls format.

Check, double-check and triple-check all recipes for safety and accuracy.

Have fun!

~Martin

Walt

Re: Sausage & Meat Curing Recipe Template w/Scaling & Calculators......
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 03:22:07 PM »
This is great stuff.  I am currently reading Ruhlman's "Charcuterie The craft of salting, smoking & curing" and will follow it with his "The craft of Italian dry curing" and Boetticher's "In the Charcuterie.  I have been using your previously posted spreadsheet for equilibrium brines.  Thanks again.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

McKay

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »
Very nice Diggin, thanks!

I just finished up 6 lbs of Basque Chorizo yesterday. The pre-smoke sample was really good. I hung them to smoke from the bars in my # 3. Smoke was applied, temps watched closely, ramped from a pre-smoke dry of 135 for 1 hour up to smoke at 175 for 6 hours until I hit an IT of 155 F. I pulled them and only half of each hung link was cherry red, the other half was tanish. The links I laid down on a rack because I ran out of hangers came out perfectly colored.

Are you experiencing this? I was careful to assure non of the links were touching.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
I don't think hanging is really an option for anything other than the #4. The #3's and lower just aren't tall enough to prevent the sausages from smoking unevenly.

I would recommend laying all of them down. Depending on how many racks you have to use, you may have to rotate racks bottom to top, and back to front a time or two during your smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

McKay

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »
I am thinking the same thing. Just not enough height. I even experience this while doing Jerky, I rotate and flip racks a number of times during smoke. It doesn't add to much time to the process. Now if I could only figure out how to get that pretty red color on my jerky....

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
What kind of seasoning are you using? Usually the red color comes form the cure.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 06:43:44 PM »
While it would be possible to hang some 4-6 inch linked pairs from the top rack and not burn, big ten inch rings laid on the rack are a lot simpler.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

McKay

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »
What kind of seasoning are you using? Usually the red color comes form the cure.

#1 at 1 tsp per 5 pound.

Come to think of it, many of my #1 cures have not colored like they should have. Think Ill replace the batch.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:42:49 PM »
Martin, all I can say is "Wow."  Your devotion to helping others, and the time spent devising your calculators, is exemplary, my friend!  Nice job, as usual! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!