Author Topic: M E M O I R S ~ O F ~ A ~ M E A T L O A F  (Read 7849 times)

Toni Baloney

• Thank heaven for little grills
M E M O I R S ~ O F ~ A ~ M E A T L O A F
« on: January 09, 2015, 06:09:23 PM »
I’ve been wanting to smoke a meatloaf since receiving my #1 right before Christmas.  I’d cut my teeth (successfully) on my smoker with some ribs and several batches of smoked salmon, and had learned the nuances of controlling the heat and the amount of smoke, etc.  So feeling confident, I planned a dinner with friends around a main course of smoked-first-then-grilled meatloaf.  IT WAS FABULOUS.

I know a lot of folks aren’t fond of meatloaf, and as near as I can tell (from asking them), the reason is likely their pathetic meatloaf recipe.  So before I share my smoked meatloaf experience, I will share my Meatloaf Manifesto and my meatloaf recipe.

MEATLOAF MANIFESTO: Meatloaf is about meat, and should taste like meat, not green peppers.  No self-respecting meatloaf has carrots, celery or any other random vegetable in it - just a little onion - that’s it. Adding vegetables doesn’t make a meatloaf “healthier” or moist, it makes it awful (IMHO), and tends to make it fall apart.  If you want “healthy,” serve the vegetables on the side.  When it comes to meatloaf, LESS IS MORE.  The beauty of this recipe is its simplicity.  This recipe doesn’t have any meaningless herbs/spices to mask the flavor of the beef/meat.  Don’t mess with it, and don’t substitute ground chuck with any kind of "hamburger."  If you’d like a blend of meats, say beef, pork, veal, etc., make sure it’s ground meat, and nothing seasoned like breakfast sausage or Italian sausage.  The eggs and bread crumbs aren’t “filler,” they’re glue to keep the ground meat together while it cooks.

Stepping down from my soap box to share recipe . . .

GREAT MEATLOAF

Ingredients:

Meatloaf
•   1-1/2 lbs. ground chuck - no other kind, and preferably grass-fed
•   2 cups fresh bread crumbs; use any kind of bread you like, but nothing seasoned like focaccia or strong like rye - buzz the bread fine in food processor
•   2 eggs - beaten with milk before adding
•   1 medium (weighs about 8 oz.) sweet onion, minced.  A food processor works best for this so the onion bits are finely minced enough to “melt” into the loaf when it roasts.  No big onion chunks!
•   1 or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced - process the garlic with the onion
•   1 teaspoon regular table salt
•   1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
•   2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
•   1/2 cup milk, any kind

Glaze
•   1 cup ketchup
•   1/4 cup brown sugar packed
•   2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Directions:

1.   For the glaze - whisk all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat just until the sugar dissolves.  Reserve 1/4 of this glaze to use for extra sauce at the table with the finished meatloaf.  Simmer the remaining glaze over medium heat until it’s slightly thickened – this gets brushed on the meatloaf while it cooks.

2.   For the meatloaf - in a large bowl mix all the meatloaf ingredients together well with your hands.  Shape the mixture into a free-form loaf, but DO NOT put it into a loaf pan.  When shaping the loaf take care not to leave any air bubbles in the loaf.  Once shaped, rub your fingers over the surface of the loaf to create smooth finish – dampened fingers help.  Brush some of the cooking glaze on the loaf, then roast it in the open pan (no lid) at 375°F for about one hour.  Midway through remove it from the oven (so you don’t lose all your oven heat) and brush on more glaze, then return it to the oven and cook for another 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F. Rest the meatloaf for 10 minutes before slicing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The recipe instructions here are obviously for roasting the meatloaf in the oven, but here’s what I did to smoke it.

1) Made the meatloaf the night before, then let it sit overnight in the fridge wrapped in plastic (might leave the plastic off next time).  Because I didn't have something better, I fashioned a smoking grid from two old cooling racks to create a small cross-wire platform for the loaf that would allow smoke to reach the bottom.  I placed the loaf on the grid, but DID NOT brush it with glaze - I wanted the meat to smoke, not the glaze.   

2) I used 2 hickory chunks (about 3 oz total).  I placed the meatloaf on the bottom shelf of my #1, and inserted a temperature probe.  I didn’t use a water pan.  I started cooking the meatloaf at 200° with just one of the wood chunks.  When the smoke started to slow down (about an hour), I opened the door and added the other wood chunk to the wood box, then raised the temp to 225°.  About 2 hours later, the interior temp of the meatloaf had reached 155° - slightly underdone, as I planned.  The loaf dripped a little in the smoker, but about a tablespoon or two at the most – not the big mess that I anticipated.

3) I let the loaf rest and cool on my kitchen counter for about 1-1/2 hours where it dripped about another tablespoon of lovely pinkish juice.  It had developed something of a dry pellicle in the smoker, and I believe that’s the result of making a smooth finish when shaping the loaf.  The loaf kept its shape very well – it didn’t flatten out - lost less than 1/2-inch in height I'd guess.  Touching my finger to the surface, it had a delightful smoky taste with no bitterness.  See the attached picture (haven't figured out how to insert one yet).

4)  When cooled enough, I wrapped it in plastic, put it in the fridge, and it stayed there (to improve the flavor and firm up for easier slicing) until the next day when phase two began. . .

5) I unwrapped the meatloaf, and with a serrated knife cut 1-inch slices on the diagonal.  The reason I sliced them diagonally was to make the slices slightly bigger than they’d be had they been cuts straight across.  I laid the slices out on a tray and let them come to room temp, then brushed one side with some (but not a lot) of the ketchup glaze, but only on the cut side – I didn't let any spill down the outer edge that received the smoke.  I put the slices onto my fiercely hot gas grill, glazed side down, then glazed the other cut edges quickly and closed the lid.  Two minutes later I flipped the nicely grill-marked and slightly-charred slices over, and gave them another 2-3 minutes. 

It was delicious.  My dinner guests discussed erecting a shrine to me while they inhaled it.  I forgot to take pictures of the grilled slices, but they were a thing of beauty.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:16:42 PM by Toni Baloney »
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

• I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat only vegetables.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: M E M O I R S ~ O F ~ A ~ M E A T L O A F
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
Well written, with the SI, I will never make meatloaf in the oven.   Every time perfect!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
Man, I wish you would have gotten pictures of the slices on the plate and the grilled slices.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Toni Baloney

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »
Man, I wish you would have gotten pictures of the slices on the plate and the grilled slices.

I'll be making it again very soon, and won't forget the pictures this time.
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »
Great write-up, Toni, and one fine-looking recipe!  Now that you have your wood amount down, add it all at the beginning.  Don't open the door/smoke box during cooking to add wood - it's dangerous, and not needed.  Just put the desired amount in up front and let it go.

I've never been a big meatloaf guy, because of the things NOT to include, so clearly put in your manifesto!  Thanks for the eye-opener!  I actually want to try meatloaf now - that's big! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Toni Baloney

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 11:05:27 PM »
Thanks, Tony.  I'll heed your warning about the smoke box and live to smoke another meatloaf. 
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »
Tony, what's not to like with that? Thanks for the manifesto.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »
I love it, Bob!  Guess you meant the other "Toni."  We have a batch of Tony/i's around here now! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 10:05:11 PM »
I love it, Bob!  Guess you meant the other "Toni."  We have a batch of Tony/i's around here now! ;)

I can go by Tony L. if it makes it any easier to keep the conversations straight. Anyway, this meatloaf sounds great and something else I'll have to try down the road. Great job Toni! Definitely would like to see pictures on the next go around.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Toni Baloney

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »
My brother phoned yesterday to say he was stopping for an overnight visit on his way through town, so I made another meatloaf last night and stuck it in the fridge.  This morning he and I popped it into the smoker, and I smoked it the same as I did before, except this time I took Tony's advise and put the wood in at the beginning and never opened the door.  It still took about 3 hours, with the same great-looking results.   

We put it in the fridge for the day, then took it out a couple hours before dinner, sliced it and let it come to room temperature before grilling it. 

This time I took pictures.

Once again it was delicious.  My brother thought it was the best thing he'd eaten in years, or ever, and my guess is he'll be stopping by for another visit on his way back home. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:05:43 AM by Toni Baloney »
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 01:37:12 AM »
Hey Toni Baloney,
This sounds great. I love meatloaf. Everyone who loves meat loaf has a special recipe they use. Mine for example came from my mom, the best meatloaf ever. But this sounds like something worth trying. I never had smoked meatloaf. Thanks for the recipe and instructions.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
Hey Toni, not the one from Arkansas or the one from Iowa but the one from Idaho....  :o nice lookin meatloaf. Gotta try this soon.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Toni Baloney

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 10:31:10 AM »
Everyone who loves meat loaf has a special recipe they use. Mine for example came from my mom, the best meatloaf ever.

I agree, Arnie.  My meatloaf recipe is recommended for those "meatloaf whiners" out there who claim not to like it so much, or at all - if so, give my "just meat" version a try, and maybe you'll change your mind.  But if you're not a whiner and you've got a favorite meatloaf, I say ---- SMOKE IT!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:49:11 PM by Toni Baloney »
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
OMG, Toni!  Those pictures of the grilled loaf are amazing!  I'd have never thought meatloaf could look SO appetizing!
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:01:03 PM »
That's looks REALLY REALLY good! Just reading these forums is going to cause me to gain weight.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA