Author Topic: Wood chunks question.  (Read 8833 times)

theeaterofshades

Wood chunks question.
« on: January 03, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
Getting ready for my first smoke in my #2and have boated 2 chunks Apple and 2 chunks hickory at 3.1 oz of wood.    Just does not seem like enough for 2 racks (baby back and spareribs).  Just want to make sure I am ok with what I have prepped.  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:35:45 PM by theeaterofshades »

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Wood chunks question.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »
You are good to go!   I usually use between 3-4oz of wood for ribs, so go with what you have and determine afterwards if you want to use more wood for the next smoke.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

bigbassnutt

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »
Less is more in these smokers! I use 2.5 ounces of cherry when I do ribs.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:48:49 PM »
That should definitely be enough wood for Baby Backs especially for your first time.

If you decide you like more smoke, you could use 4 ounces on the next one.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

theeaterofshades

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:20:43 PM »
Wow. just finished the 1 hour rib rest and it was surprising.  The opposite result of my old MES (which will now be my cold smoker), in which babybacks came out better, the SI 2 produced heavenly spare ribs which blew away the baby backs in my taste test.  LOL.  Will have to see the taste after an overnight in the fridge.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »
I haven't smoked a full sparerib lately, but I have smoked both Baby Backs and St Louis Cut ribs (Sparerib minus the riblets) and I prefer the St Louis Cut to the Baby Backs too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

es1025

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
I use around 2oz of wood for baby backs. I found that a nice smoke profile.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »
Do you all think of wood by time of cook or weight of meat?  Is 2 oz. for ribs right for 3 slabs as well as a dozen slabs? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »
Time of cook.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »
Gregg - Fargo, ND

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »
+2 ... 2-3oz for ribs (5.5 hours), while up to 6oz for a boston butt (12+ hours depending on size).
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 09:37:09 PM »
Definitely time of cook.  Whether 1 rack, or 12, the ribs are only going to absorb smoke until they hit around 140 IT, so it doesn't matter how much - just how long.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

iluvribs

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »
I want to smoke my first pork butt....and I was looking for suggestion as to how much wood to use for a pork butt, since it appears to be the consensus that you go by how LONG you smoke, not how MUCH you smoke, and I know pork butts cook for a long time.
Todd from Longmont, Colorado.
Smokin-It #2, Weber Gas Grill
Spastic Golden Retriever

Limey

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
I think you need around 5 to 6 ounces of wood, depending on how smokey you like your meat and the type of wood you are using(more of fruitwood, less of mesquite and hickory). To answer Dave's hypothetical question of 3 vs 12 racks I would increase the wood slightly for the 12 racks simply because the time would increase somewhat. However I have never smoked 12 racks at once. Indeed my guests tonight decided that they were "pigged out" and insisted on a non-bbq dinner tomorrow!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »
I want to smoke my first pork butt....and I was looking for suggestion as to how much wood to use for a pork butt, since it appears to be the consensus that you go by how LONG you smoke, not how MUCH you smoke, and I know pork butts cook for a long time.

Ribs,

I love the pork butt (bone-in Boston butt) for a "first smoke!"  It gives you a good feel for how that guy will perform for the long haul!  Here's the chronicle of my "first smoke" Boston butt:

Divot's First Butt...Hehe...that's funny! :D

You'll see the "edit" notes in there.  I've since gone to a brined butt that is my standard now.  Brining is an easy process, and really adds to the flavor/moistness of the meat.  Check it out through the link in my first butt post, above.

As for wood, 5-6 oz is plenty.  If you don't have a digital kitchen scale to weigh wood, get one.  You can easily over-smoke meat in these smokers, if you don't weigh your wood.

Let us know how it goes!

By the way, this was my 4th post on the forum.  I know it's an old post, but I'm feeling a little nostalgic tonight. :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:23:19 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!