Author Topic: Top Round Roast Suggestions?  (Read 2039 times)

Pipecrew

Top Round Roast Suggestions?
« on: December 19, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »
I'm going to be doing a Top Round Roast later today in my #2. It's just shy of 3 pounds and I have hickory chips to use. I was thinking of rubbing it down with some Montreal seasoning.
I have a couple questions:

How many ounces of chips should I use? I don't have a scale so what should I measure the chips with? 1/2 cup, 1 cup?

Should I use anything else on the rub other than the Montreal?

I plan on using a pan in the bottom for moisture, either apple juice or maybe beer. I have a meat thermometer to check the meat but I don't have a Maverick yet. I'm thinking the roast should take 3 hours or so?

Thanks!!!!
Mike

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Top Round Roast Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:45:54 PM »
I have never used chips, but for a smoke lie this I would want to use about a 3oz hickory chunk.   Just guessing, but I think it would equate to a cup of chips.    I don't think you need anything else but the rub, and the loaf pan with liquid next to the smoke box will do fine.  Good luck...let us know how it turns out!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
I would say 1 cup max and you should be good.

I would rub the roast with some oil before you put the rub on. The oil serves as a binder just as mustard does on our ribs and butts.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
This cut should be similar to a sirloin tip roast - see if this gives you ideas!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2235.0

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1555.0

You can adjust the internal temp, based on how done you like your beef.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!