Author Topic: Odd Woods and Other Notes  (Read 4283 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Odd Woods and Other Notes
« on: December 18, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
Just an FYI

Just got some wood from Maine Grilling Wood.  Quick, free shipping.   Volume was a little smaller than Steves bags.  Had to chop about ½ up to get under 3oz chunks.

For those so inclined to look and probably save money check out ebay.  <I should have know this considering that’s how I pay the mortgage and fund retirement>

Common woods seem to be about ½ price for twice as much volume.

There are some odd? Ones too such as Guava, Red Oak and cut up burbon whiskey barrels.

Type in SMOKER WOOD for a search and scroll through.   There is a lot of Bradley crap to page past, but some vendors seem to have a good product available.

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Odd Woods and Other Notes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
Good idea, John.  Probably just have to be careful of the source (like most things on Ebay, though, I suppose).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kelvinator

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »
John, how do you like the Maine Grilling Wood? I just ordered a sample pack this last week with 10 different kinds of wood.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA
New to smoking but worked as a cook for 4 years

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:47:17 PM »
I used some sugar maple last night on wings, burned fine.   Like I mentioned before, I had to cut/hatchet some of the pieces smaller.  1.5 to less than 3 oz size for the #2.

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:51:46 PM »
Pecan
Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory but not as strong. Tasty with a subtle character. An all-around superior smoking wood. Try smoking with the nut shells as well. This is our preferred wood for Brisket.
Good for most things including poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is the best for that beautiful golden-brown turkey and we absolutely love it on brisket.

More from the web and since I'm smoking a Chicken very soon and have a supply of Pecan I think I'll try for that "Golden-Brown" sure does sound good..

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
Pecan is a great, mild, "all around" wood, Ralph!  I love it on beef, but I still prefer cherry on poultry.  It produces a dark skin, too.  I've never heard of using the nut hulls!  Good info!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 06:10:59 AM »
 I finally have a good selection of woods including cherry for the first time and I am undecided now but leaning toward the cherry.  I like the idea of dark colored skin.
 I was hung up on Apple and Hickory for quite a while.  ???

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 02:48:05 PM »
A lot of homes have fruitless fruit trees such as plum and pear.  Come pruning season, I'm checking everyones landscape waste piles.  I like the plum and the Asian pear and it's FREE.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
Ooh...plum and Asian pear?  Sounds really good!  I live in the country, so not too many clippings like that around here. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas