Author Topic: Prosciuttini  (Read 11594 times)

Walt

Prosciuttini
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
Bone in Boston butts were on sale for $.99/lb, so I picked up two totaling 23lbs.  I deboned one and removed a roast to use for this.  The roast was 3lbs 10oz (1738.8 grams).  I used 3% of meat weight of salt (52 grams), 1 Tbsp black pepper (6 grams), .25% of meat weight instacure#2 (4 grams).  Combined ingredients and thoroughly rubbed ensureing complete coverage.  I then vac sealed it.  It will remain like this for 2 weeks (12/31/14).  I will then remove, rinse, dry & put in an UMAI drysteak bag for evaporative weight loss.  I will be looking for a 35 - 40% reduction in weight.  This should take 4 to 8 weeks. 

The remainder of the butt, as well as the unmolested butt, went into an equilibrium brine as follows:

8455 grams of meat
6.25% cure = 21 grams instacure#1
2% salt = 149 grams kosher salt
1% sugar = 85 grams brown sugar

1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp cayanne
1 tsp ancho chile powder
1 tsp chipolte chile powder
1/3 cup cider vinegar

All was disolved in two cups of water then ice was added to cool.  Total amount of ice & water amounted to 8500 grams.  The weight of the meat & spices should equal the weight of the water & ice. I will let this brine for 3 - 5 days.  It really doesnt matter, as long as it gets a few days, because it can not be overbrined since this is an Equillibrium brine.  Pulled pork next week!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:14:07 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Prosciuttini
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:50 PM »
Walt, can't wait! Will you smoke the Prosciuttini after the cure?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »
Thats a good thought.  Maybe I'll cut a piece off & give it a try for both the Bresola & this.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
Way to branch-out, Walt!  Nice job.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 12:00:44 AM »
Today was 2 weeks in the dry cure.  Opened her up, rinsed & dryed, then into the drybag.  I will open her up around Feb 25.  Looking to drop 35-40% in weight.

The smell was amazing.

1st photo is in drybag
2nd photo is drybag in pantyhose to assist in the drybag forming a bond with the meat
3rd photo is my meat fridge, venison bresaola, new york strip & this prosciuttini dry ageing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:10:53 AM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
Looks great Walt! Expected more color from the chilies but maybe it's a result of the brine. Really looking forward to the results.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »
The Prosciutini only has salt, pepper & instacure.  The rest of the butts went into the brine with the Chile's.  Cooked one of them a couple days ago, outstanding!.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 09:55:42 PM »
Looking outstanding, Walt!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
Martin, Brian or Greg,

If I were to cold smoke the meat candy, should it be done after the dry-ageing or between the dry-cure & the dry-ageing?  Or, does it really matter when the smoke is introdued?  When done, how long should something like this cold smoke for?

Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 01:50:02 AM »
When you say "Meat Candy" are you referring to the hunk of pork shoulder? Looking at your numbers I am wondering if there is enough sugar to get a sweet note. I am thinking it is going to be taking the edge off the saltiness than being sweet.

I have prepared pork bison and venison like this but I use less math. I make a batch of my basic dry cure and scoop some into a baking dish. I then roll and rub a hunk of meat in it until no more cure can stick. That is called the salt box method and gives great result. After you coat the meat in that manner you bag it up with what ever added flavorings or spices you want. I typically do hunks of flesh of four pounds or less. I do not cure more than seven days.

Now as to the cold smoking...
The few times I have cold smoked meat that was being dry cured I smoked it after the cure but before the aging. Rinse and pat it dry then allow it to fully dry for a few hours uncovered in the fridge or 20 minutes in front of a fan. Cold smoke at 100 or less for 6 or 8 hours. After smoking throw away your fancy bags and hang that meat up Old School, in your basement with some butchers twine.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 09:48:21 AM »
You're probably going to get lot of different answers because we all do things differently.  :)
For the most smoke penetration, I smoke before aging.
I never rinse when dry curing and aging because it rinses away the salt exuded proteins that form a great pellicle.
I cold smoke at no more than 75 degrees.
Before smoking I bring the meat temperature up to the ambient temperature of the smoker and form the pellicle. This prevents condensation on the surface of the meat during smoking.
Length of smoking is a matter of personal preference...some folks smoke a few hours...some smoke for days.
In a case like this, at a minimum, I go with two sessions of 12 hours of smoke over two days or three sessions of 8 hours of smoke over three days.
Thin blue smoke.
I have a couple curing chambers for drying and aging.

HTH

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:54:52 AM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

Walt

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 11:33:11 AM »
Great info.  Both of ya'll are a wealth of knowledge.  The consensus appears that the smoke should be applied between the dry cure & the dry ageing.  Next piece I'll apply smoke.

Brian,  there was no sugar used in the prosciuttini.  The particular recipe used this time did not call for any.  The roast used was 3#10oz so it sounds like it was in the right ballpark size wise.  I would be a little nervous (mostly due to my limited knowledge) to throw out the fancy bags.  No basement here, dig down 2 ft & we hit the water table.  High humidity & generally high heat down here so I would be afraid of the outcome.  I am not opposed to trying that method but would need more guidance WRT hot, humid southern conditions.

Martin, i figured the art side of this would definately cause for many stylistic changes between methods.  That is definatly the case.

I do, sincerely, appreciate the knowledge both of you share with us.  I would like to pick up a book giving more detail.  Is there one or two you guys would recommend?
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 12:32:15 AM »
I went with the following:

Charcuterie by Ruhlman & Polcyn
Salumi by Ruhlman & Polcyn
In the Charcuterie by Boetticher

So far the 1st one is great. Lots of great info.

Missing anything?
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
Those are the same books I have.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

McKay

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 11:49:59 AM »
So if I understand correctly, you cured a pork butt then smoked it until pull?