Author Topic: Opening the door?  (Read 10255 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Opening the door?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »
I wouldn't put a catch pan in the smoker that is proven to cause issues.

The only way I would put a catch pan "in" the smoker would be if it was on the floor of the smoker. You could put some loaf pans on either side of the smoke box. This is typically where I put my mini-loaf pan filled with Apple Cider or Beer. But you could put some empty catch pans next to the smoke box. I still would just use the built-in catch pan though.

The catch pans on the shelves below the meat are big no-no's and will cause temp fluctuations and problems with your smoker getting to the desired temp.

But, like I wrote above, there are ways to work around this.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »
I wouldn't put a catch pan in the smoker that is proven to cause issues.

Not a problem if it's kept well clear of the temperature sensor.
A pan or whatever funneling heat over the sensor is what causes the problems.
~Martin

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
There are some meats that I smoke directly in a pan.  This is going to be quite a ride! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
I'm always looking for new ideas. While some traditional smoking techniques do not work well with electric smokers, others do.

It sounds like you are an experienced smoker Dave. So, I am looking forward to see what kind of smokes you're going to try.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »
Dave, you're encountering the hardest part of converting from a "traditional" smoker to one of these - breaking old habits.  Many of the techniques you are used to are intended to counter the effects of a charcoal or stick burner (namely moisture loss).  Those smokers are a much drier environment, and all the foiling/mopping/spritzing/putting in pans, etc. is to keep the meat more moist.  What you'll find, with these smokers, is is just isn't necessary.  With most smokes, there is not need for au jus because the meat is already so dang moist!  I don't think there would be any problem using something like a mini-loaf pan, on a shelf close below the meat, but I wouldn't go any larger.  Drip pans between the smoke box and the meat have proven problematic, and are just best avoided.

Embrace the world of Lazy Q, and your old smokers will get lonely! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:46 PM »
Yes, it will be a testament to my stubbornness! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 11:18:51 PM »
Yes, it will be a testament to my stubbornness!

;D   Good thing you have a great support team here! ;)   
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!