Author Topic: #2 Observation, Back Panel  (Read 3550 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
#2 Observation, Back Panel
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Picture attached is of back of smoker after about 10 smokes.

This isn’t a rip or criticism, but just an observation.  I always noticed a peek of smoke out the back, probably not a big deal, but I never read anyone seeing this.  i.e buildup on outside

You can also push in that panel quite a bit compared to the side two.   Notice there aren’t rivets or screws there vs the sides that are super strong.

My hunch that’s because the controls are close to that area? 

Just an observation.

I did 10 lbs store sausage last night and ribs will be in Sunday.

Maybe when Santa comes down the chimney for his cookies and beer he’ll fire up a boston butt while the family sleeps!

Merry Christmas
John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: #2 Observation, Back Panel
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
Haven't seen that one before, John!  If you remove the screws in the back panel, there's about 3" of space to the back wall of the smoker.  It's filled with insulation, and the back wall is sealed.  You'll also see space above the inside box top, with insulation also.  My guess would be that you either a) have a breach in the back wall (unlikely), or b) the fitting in the vent hole is loose.  The vent fitting is threaded, and has a nut on the inside of the top.  If this is loose, it could allow smoke/moisture into the top cavity, which would explain the drippings from the very top on the back.

Check that, and let us know.  Might want to go ahead and remove the back, too, just to see the stain pattern.   
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
John maybe you need to tighten the screws.  i have taken the screws out multiple times, but have not seen any smoke. It possible the screws did not sit right. My $.02
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
Sunday smoke going.  I found the top "washer" was a tad loose.  Hand tightened top one in hopes it would pull up the bottom one.

Peek smoke still there, but not as bad as before.

In my free time I will take top and bottom out for a wash.  One in the smoker was coated and seasoned.  Hard to move.   

Would have been a lot easier to tighten if the "disks" weren't circular.  A bit tricky to put on thread.  I guess they look better, but bit harder for maintaining.   

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
Thought that might have been it, John.  Good deal!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!