Author Topic: 1st Jerky  (Read 3970 times)

Mike

1st Jerky
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
First time trying to make Jerky...I think my slices were a little to thin. Some came out very dry  but most were really good..see pic

I went with *145 smoke for two hours then I was going to let them cook for five hours more...thankfully checked at three hours..this batch was done

2nd batch in one gonna do the same except check at the two hour mark...

Dryer worked exceptionally ...

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 1st Jerky
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
Looks pretty good albeit a little dry. Good thing you looked when you did, or you would have Jerky Brittle.

With Jerky you don't have to worry about loss of moisture, so especially after the bulk of the smoking phase is done, it isn't a big deal to open and check periodically. I have found that they come back to temp pretty fast after opening the door too.

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
Hahaha, them suckers are dry as hell....hoping the second batch is better

Mike
#2 and Weber Char.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
You could try putting them in a Food Saver bag (or Ziploc) with a wet paper towel and seal (no vacuum) and they may soften up a bit.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »
Bet they tasted good, though! ;)   I slice jerky 1/4" thick, to allow for the 50% shrinkage.  Seems to work well.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Mike

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »
2nd batch much better, I think I made the mistake of cutting it 1/8 inch.  Next time gonna get it cut 1/4 and use a marinade

Same temp *145   Just had a much shorter cook time

Mike
#2 and Weber Char.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »
I really prefer 100 for jerky just include curing salt in you seasoning. The low temp is gentle, it takes longer but is worth it. Your drying at 145 but your also cooking which changes texture and taste. If you had a steak at 145 you would consider it cooked correct? Give it a try on a small batch and see what you think.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud