Author Topic: Auber won't work in the cold  (Read 8914 times)

mnsmoker

Auber won't work in the cold
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
It seems that my Auber will not work in single digit temps. A couple weeks ago I posted that I thought my element might be out but after further investigating it appears to be the Auber. After my original post I brought the #2 in the heated garage opened up the back checked my connections even put a new plug on the smoker since I shortened the cord I thought that could be it plugged it in and all is good. Yesterday I tried 2 racks baby backs same thing, this time I plugged it directly into the smoker and she lit,went back to the Auber....nope, I bypassed my stock controller so it won't control temps without the Auber, back in the garage took the back off went back to the stock controller,back outside put the ribs on and cooked em old school, no Auber, worked great 5 hrs. no peek perfect ribs. The day I thought it was the element the temps were single digits as well, just never thought the Auber wouldn't work in that cold, I know it will in temps in the 30's, soooooo it looks like I'm old school for the winter oh well less to hook up in -35 wind chills.....the joys of smoking in mn. winters!
Jim from Minnesota

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Auber won't work in the cold
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »
Double whammy!  Freezing weather and an Auber doesn't like the cold. Well, it is essentially a computer, and they do not react well with freezing temps. But the smoker itself works well regardless of the weather. Sometimes 'old school' is the best school.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »
This is another reason to add the rocker switch option that lets you switch back to analog.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »
I am getting one for Christmas & will definitely add the rocket launcher.  You may be able to get a directional high wattage light and an extension cord and aim it close to the aiber while cooking in those low temps like you would a well pump in freezing weather.

The ribeyes have been too pricey to dry age lately, so I started a Bresola with a venison roast this morning.  2 weeks in a dry cure, then wash off and dry age for 4 to 8 weeks.  You know I will go the full 8.  Should be ready Feb 13.  Have you been doing any dry ageing lately?  I am going to start doing more cured meats.

Good luck with the Auber, Jim.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
Walt please post your recipe and results of the Bresola in the Charcuterie section.What was your starting weight on the roast?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »
I wish I had thought of the switch when I was trouble shooting it's going to be analog for the next 4 months as we won't see 30's for a long time, at least not consistently, might do it soon if it isn't to difficult.

As far as the dry aging Walt just can't pull the trigger on 150 - 180 dollar hunks of beef, they are going up again for the holidays, been doing a lot of turkey and salmon but nothing compares to those 45 day ribeyes, after the 1st of the year will get one even though it will sting a bit.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:33:42 PM »
I guess everything has its limits, Jim!  Wife and son were in Minneapolis this week, and the temps were bitter!  I guess the bypass rocket launcher switch is a must for those of you who brave the extremes in the name of Q!  What's amazing is how well the "stock" configuration will work, even in sub-zero conditions!  Not many smokers will handle that!

I know what you mean about the whole ribeyes for dry-aging.  I just can't lay out what they want, but hopefully the prices will fall a bit after the holidays!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
Bummer!
This is why I like the Auber with the K-type thermocouples....I can keep it Auber itself in the house.

Sure wish they'd make a more sophisticated model with dual probes.

Actually, they do have such a PID but not a plug and play model.

~Martin
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »
I agree, Martin!  I love the k-probe model, but wish it was dual-probe!  It would be nice to keep the unit in the warm house during extreme-temp smokes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

mnsmoker

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »
Installing the rocket launcher tomorrow, the biggest job will be the hole, hoping to borrow a bit that will do the job, if not will just tough it out.
Jim from Minnesota

GeeBee

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »
It seems that my Auber will not work in single digit temps.
You're aware you have to heat the probe(s) in your hand before turning the smoker on? According to the manual, under a certain temp. (I don't remember what the temp is) the probe needs to be brought up to a certain temp.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 10:12:55 PM »
  You may be able to get a directional high wattage light and an extension cord and aim it close to the aiber while cooking in those low temps like you would a well pump in freezing weather.
The first thing that came to my mind was mamas heating pad. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 09:22:21 PM »
Had an issue with this tonight as I was putting a boston butt in my #3 and temps in my part of Michigan are about 14 degrees at present.  I have the Auber gen 3 which I purchased with my smoker in May.  I keep my smoker in the un-heated garage when not in use and have installed the permanent probe.

So when I got ready to start smokin' I turned on the Auber it indicated the cabinet temp was "-H-" and the unit beeped. This did not bring the smoker on and all was at a standstill.  I disconnected the Auber, brought out the Maverick and figured I reached the point where the Auber would not work due to the cold.

After checking a little in the Owner's Manual it indicates if the Auber probe is at 14 degrees or colder the controller will not operate because it can't read a temperature correctly.  The probe has to be heated to at least 32 degrees as GeeBee indicated earlier in this thread.  By the time I read that, the cabinet and thus the permanent probe were more than warm enough so I set the Auber back up and we are running strong now. 

I do keep the Auber inside my garage and position the smoker just outside the garage door during cold weather or if we are going to have some form of precipitation.  Keeps the Auber about 10 degrees warmer and dry through the night.

So, don't give up on your Aubers.  Just make sure the probes are warm enough before you start.
Dean from SE Michigan

Smokin-It Model #3 Owner as of May 10, 2014

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 09:29:33 PM »
Good point, Dean!  If you have a permanent probe, you could also put something hot on it before cooking, like a rice bag heated in the microwave, or hand warmer?  Just something to bring the probe temp above freezing.  Not sure that I've used mine, with the permanent probe installed, in below freezing temps, but I will definitely remember this!  Thanks for a good tip & reminder!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 10:54:12 PM »
I would think a couple of minutes with a hair dryer might do the trick too. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.