Author Topic: PID Autotune fail?  (Read 3471 times)

Mason_Dixon

PID Autotune fail?
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
Just received the #4 and set it up for autotune (WSD-1500GPH).  Initially the Autotune appears to work -- it flashes AT and the box temp.  Then the box temp disappears (5-10 minutes), and the flashing is At and H-   (not -H-).  Both sides are flashing H, the box doesn't warm up at all, and Autotune never completes.

I've also noticed that when setting the device it will reset what I am doing -- almost looks like it shorts out -- all characters in the LED light up for a second and it wipes out what I was doing.  e.g. if I am in Lock and moving the numbers up to 166 it will just re-boot, flashing very quickly (like it's shorting out or something), and then I'm back at the start.

This might be unrelated to Autotune, or might be the same issue.

As mentioned, I received this 2 days ago, and the PID was well packed within an air and water tight UPS bubble wrap bag, and then that was wrapped in bubble wrap.  So there is no way I can see this was damaged, at least nothing visible.

Although it does cycle through the programs, I have not attempted to cook using the PID.

ideas and solutions are welcome!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: PID Autotune fail?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »
Did you bypass the stock controller? If not, do you have the stock controller cranked all the way to 250 when you do the auto-tune?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »
My 3 cents on this:  Ignore the Auber and season the smoker. Once that task has been accomplished, and you are confident that the stock smoker is working properly, then tackle the Auber. I say this only because the Auber is not necessary for smoking good food. But it does tighten up the temperature swings.

The 4 is a huge smoker.  I would not think that the Auber would need any type of change for auto-tune.  Hopefully some of the seasoned Auber veterans will chime in and get you up and running, especially those running the Auber in a 4. This forum has a lot of help.  If all else fails, and your smoker is well seasoned, use it and call Auber for assistance.

Hope this helps.  Even just a little.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:05:24 PM »
Dave is right - season the smoker with the stock controller.  Then, perform the autotune using these instructions:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1869.0

Make sure the stock controller is all the way up, and make sure your probes and power are connected correctly.  PM me if you are having issues that need lots more detail and help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »
When I called Auber, they told me not to rely on auto tuning. They suggest manually tuning.  I tried that too but I've still been having issues.  Yours are obviously different.  However, I would like to hear how things go once you get your smoker seasoned up and are ready to use your Auber for a smoke.

See my issues here: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2325.0
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas