Author Topic: Clean up  (Read 2898 times)

dannyboy

Clean up
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »
How detailed do I need to be in cleaning up the smoker after a smoke? I'm throwing out old foil from bottom and on top of wood box, cleaning off the racks, and wiping down the sides. That's it. Do I need to do more?
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Clean up
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
That is all I do. You don't really want to remove that smoke coating.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »
I just use scalding hot water as a wipe down and law out new foil. I started after every smoke but have gotten pretty lazy, I average about five or six smokes between clean up.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:47:09 PM »
Nope, that's about all that you need to do.   I wipe the bottom with paper towels just to wipe up any moisture that might have gotten under the foil.   Maybe once every couple of months, I will run the side racks through the dishwasher, but that's about it.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »
You have it down pat, Danny!  That's all I do.  In fact, I only wipe the sides down about every 3 or 4 smokes.  My main concern is the grease that finds its way under the bottom foil, and making sure the drain/air hole is nice and clean.  Shelves and guides take a ride in the dishwasher, and come out great.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dannyboy

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
Appreciate the replies. I have some more wood ordered. Can't wait to try the cherry next time around.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
Big cherry fan, here!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
I really like the cherry wood on poultry...nice, sweet taste.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2