Author Topic: Seasoning the Smoker  (Read 9925 times)

rowsteve65

Seasoning the Smoker
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »
Divotmaker and All,

I seasoned my new Model 2 following Tony's instructions.  There indeed was smoke coming from around the door, especially the top of the door and bottom right.  I assume based upon prior posts that this is normal.  About 45 minutes into the seasoning run, there was a whooshing sound, and smoke stopped very briefly and then resumed.  Is that normal?  Next, the heaviest smoke was for the first hour and then there was very little for the rest of the 4 hours.  When the seasoning run was done, all that was left in the wood box was a pile of white ashes.  Is all that normal and expected?  Thanks.  Just a bunch of newbie questions.  Looking forward to smoking our Thanksgiving turkey next week.  By the way, would you inject a turkey after it has been brined, or is it one of the other?

Steve

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Seasoning the Smoker
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
All of what you described is perfectly normal.

There is a lot of information on the infamous "Belch" that you experienced. Do a search for "Belch" and you will find some good information about it.

Smoke from around the doors is normal too and will eventually go away as you do more smokes. Mine still leaks a little bit during the heavier smoke fazes and it doesn't bother me a bit.

I haven't smoked a whole turkey yet, but there are a lot of posts on in the Poultry section that should answer your questions.

I think the brining is the biggest thing. Injection couldn't hurt either especially in the breast meat.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:41:44 PM »
Everything that you described is perfectly normal, and there are lots of posts on the forum regarding the infamous "belch"!  As for the turkey, just do the brine and you will be fine.   I brine all poultry, and for turkey, I would give it at least 6 hours or preferably overnight.    I smoked a whole chicken (7#) yesterday after brining over night and rubbed down first thing in the morning.   The cavity of the chicken (or turkey for you) retains a lot of moisture and the end product is a very moist bird.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
Poultry is made for brining. I generally go 45-60 minutes per lb.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:28:54 PM »
The guys have covered it well, Steve!  As for the injecting poultry after a brine?  Personal preference.  Just stay away from salty injections.  Nothing wrong with a little garlic butter, or something like that - just avoid extra salt after brining.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
Think of brineing & injecting like this:  brineing really helps with moisture retention and will transfer water soluble cures & spices into the meat.  Most spices aren't water soluble so they remain around the perimeter of the meat.  So the marinade component is limited.  I think the injecting is a better delivery mechanism for flavors into to center of the meat with added moistness as a secondary benefit.  For sliced meat the injection is very helpful for pulled meat the bark mixed in can sometimes suffice.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DONF

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
Hi on seasoning your smoker on other smokers I've owned I wiped the inside with a cooking oil is this not needed when seasoning these smokers thanks

Large Egg -Rec-Tec pellet grill -Cajun grill- Weber Kettle 26.5

Don from Bradenton,FL

Walt

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
Not necessary.  Clean it then put a couple of the hickory dowels in the smoke & let her rip.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 08:14:57 PM »
Carbon steel - use oil. These are stainless - no oil necessary!  Easy Q!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Twancho

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »
When seasoning the smoker, should the side rails be left in? I also saw some info about making a foil "boat" for the wood dowels. Should I do this for the seasoning?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:39:12 PM by Twancho »
Tom Wancho from Bethlehem PA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:48:12 PM »
When seasoning the smoker, should the side rails be left in? I also saw some info about making a foil "boat" for the wood dowels. Should I do this for the seasoning?

Hey Tom,

Leave the side rails in and I dont' worry about foiling for the seasoning.

Greg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 03:16:05 PM by gregbooras »

Twancho

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 03:09:06 PM »
Thanks Greg!
Tom Wancho from Bethlehem PA