Author Topic: Duck/Goose Jerky  (Read 4842 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Duck/Goose Jerky
« on: November 03, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
My son had some Duck and Goose breasts that he wanted to make some jerky out of. We did this last year and it turned out really well.

He bought some High Mountain Sweet and Spicy Jerky seasoning:
http://www.himtnjerky.com/Sweet-and-Spicy-Blend-Jerky-Kit.html

Smoked at 160 for two hours, and then added the James Jerky Dryer for another 7 hours and the Jerky turned out awesome as usual.

I cannot stress how important it is to have a Jerky Dryer if you are going to smoke any fresh sausage or Jerky to remove the excess moisture.

My son did most of the work except checking on the jerky and turning it off at 4:00AM when it was done. So, I am doing my part to increase the number of people who love our smoking hobby. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Re: Duck/Goose Jerky
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »
Hi Gregg:

That jerky is awesome!!  I have to agree how cool this jerky dryer is.  If mine ever fails I would buy one immediately.  I have never tried wild game jerky, but now I am going to have to try it.  I have some pheasant, and am planning on trying a few breasts to see how it goes. 

Also, I just finished my third batch of beef jerky and it turned out awesome.  With a food saver, I can't keep it in stock long enough :)

Great job on that Duck/Goose Jerky! 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
I have made Pheasant Jerky in the past and it turns out really well too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
Now THAT'S how to play "Duck Duck, Goose!"  ;D Nice job, as usual, Gregg!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:11:10 AM »
Hey Gregg, that jerky looks great. Have you ever made chicken jerky? I have seen it on sale in the stores, however I am not familiar with making jerky from chicken with my concern with salmonella poisoning, however I do want to give it a shot.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »
I have seen it and tasted it, but never made it.

You may want to smoke at a bit higher temperature with poultry. In retrospect, I maybe should have smoked the Duck Jerky at a bit higher temp too. We just finished off the last of our Duck Jerky last night and it was awesome.
Gregg - Fargo, ND