Author Topic: Small brisket  (Read 2326 times)

Jhoussock

Small brisket
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
I know full briskets are always better to smoke to get it nice and juicy, and my last few have been awesome using my #2. However I just couldn't resist a 13 dollar 2.5 pound cut at the grocers that only set me back 12 bucks vs the normal $65 I pay at my meat market. This time I'm making some brisket nachos with it and decided to smoke it the way I normally do my full size guys. Anyway, anyone ever cook these to eat sliced? Do they turn out ok? Any tips? I love the thought of a four to five hour cook!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Small brisket
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
I joked, one time, that here in the South, we consider anything under 3 lbs a steak!  I got "grilled" on that one, so I won't go there again. :-[

Not sure how a cut that small will go.  I once did a 3.9 lb pre-packaged corned beef flats, and it took 11 1/2 hours to hit 195!  Figure that one out!  Little sucker just wouldn't cook, but that may have been due to the amount of brine still in the meat (had a drip pan full).  Anyways, hope your little guy works out better!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »
JH
I typically smoke brisket flats, even had the steak DM is referring to.

In my experience they take just a long as any other cut. I cook to 195' let rest for 30 minutes and then cut. I posted a recipe using franklins method.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Jhoussock

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:38 AM »
For the record it to took about 11 hours and wasn't that great. Definitely worth just doing a flat. Not worth the money saved.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
Wow!  Another marathon-mini!  11 hours for 2.5 lbs??  Like my little corned beef - totally defies logic! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!