Author Topic: Making Boudin  (Read 3524 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Making Boudin
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »
Boudin

5 lbs Pork Butt cubed
5 lbs Pork Liver whole
1 Gallon Water
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 large onion sliced
1 large Green Pepper
2 stalks celery sliced
The white sections of four bundles of scallions (green onions)
6 smashed garlic cloves

Combine the above ingredients in a large stock pot, Insure there is enough water to cover then remove the liver. Bring to a boil and reduce to a hard simmer for 30 minutes. Add the liver and increase the heat slightly. Simmer for an additional 15 to 30 minutes or until the liver is cooked through. Turn off the heat and strain, save all, meat and cooked vegetables. After 24 hours in the fridge grind meat and cooked vegetables through a 3/8 plate once.
Divide ground meat and into thirds regrind 2/3's a second time through the 3/8 plate.
Grind:
the green tops of the scallions
Flat leaf Parsley equal in amount to the scallion greens

Thoroughly mix all ground ingredients, add cooked and cooled white rice equal in volume to half of the ground meat. Mix the rice and meat, then taste for re-seasoning, I added one half bottle each of red and white wine with 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1&1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper dissolved in it. You can use the cooking broth or wine whichever you prefer. This is your last chance to get the heat and salt level you want mix well and taste carefully. Add enough liquid to get a moist spreadable texture.

Stuff in 42 to 44 mm natural hog casings and smoke for 3 hours @ 140, the sausage is fully cooked you are adding smoke flavor and cooking the casing. Fully cool prior to freezing, these sausages freeze great.

Prior to eating warm the sausage in a 200 oven until the casing is crisp, about 25 to 30 minutes.

This is the second time I have made Boudin. I have this batch cooked and mixed. I will be stuffing tonight and smoking tomorrow.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:43:12 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Making Boudin
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
Looks great Brian. Sausage is something I have never tried to make. Maybe I will add that to the to do list.  ::)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
Looks great, Brian! This is a poor man's sausage useing the dirty rice filler.  If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.  I almost always smoke a few links along with my sausage cooks. A monthly cook for our household.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments. These pictures are taken after two hours temps in the smoker are averaging around 158'ish. I rotated the racks to try and get better color on all the links. The two in the picture are in the oven heating up for a taste test.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:57:42 PM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:51:54 AM »
The taste test was impressive. These are far better than my first attempt. Not only was the cayenne pepper at the proper heat level but the moisture in the sausage was excellent. My first batch I smoked in a Trager Pellet Grill, the results were tasty but on the dry side.
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
Those look great Brian! Now if we could just bring smell-o-vision to the forum....  :o what say you Tony?   :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »
Wow! Those do look awesome.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.