Author Topic: Auber Ordering Question  (Read 4125 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Auber Ordering Question
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an Auber for my Model 3.  Is there any benefit from ordering direct from Auber or from the Smokin-it website?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Auber Ordering Question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »
A couple of reasons that I can think of.

1. I don't see a way to order the wall-mounted probe from the Smokin-It site.
2. I don't see a way to order the NEMA5-15R plug from the Smokin-It site. This would be useful if you want to plug in a jerky dryer or an external smoke generator and program it to come on during one of the steps.

It may be possible to add these things if you email Steve. But, I do not see these options listed on the Smokin-It site.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »
Thanks again, Greg!

Not sure if I'll need the additional plug in deal... at least not now.  Is that a feature that I can add in later or do you have to add it at the time of ordering?  I don't have any plans to make jerky now but may at some point in the future.

I am planning on getting the wall mount for the sensor.  Now, you've got me wondering if the recommended location of the wall mount sensor was taken into account when designing the new high capacity racking system.  I've been thinking about getting one just to be able to have more options of where to put shelves when I'm smoking.

Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
The plug can be purchased from most any computer store. It shouldn't be that hard to find if you don't need it right away.

The wall-mount sensor is a free substitute if you order from the Auberins web site. Like I said, I am not sure if Steve has the capability to substitute the wall mount sensor or not.

Regarding the new side rail system. At least for the #3 ones that I have the original side rail dimensions have not been changed. They simply added new rails in between the existing ones.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Firebug

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »
I have been wondering the same thing. Seems if you go wall mount it's best to order direct.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
You might email Steve, but ordering direct is OK too.  I've ordered sensors and such direct, and they usually ship pretty fast.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
Should have my Auber for my #3 in a few days!  I ordered both cabinet sensors as it may be a few weeks before I can install to wall mount probe.

What's best location for the free hanging probe?
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »
Good news, Libo!  The cabinet probe should be placed on the same level as the meat, but make sure it's 2-3" away from the meat, so you don't experience the cooling effect of the cold meat on the sensor.  Important:  Do the autotune on the Auber (instructions posted in the Instructions section), and always try to keep the drop-in probe in the same location used for the autotune!  It will "learn" the characteristics of your smoker, so you want the sensor to read from the same position.  Place it up high, an inch or so from the sidewall.  Life will get much simpler when you install the cabinet probe. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 07:51:43 AM »
I hang the probe below the meat. I use a small block of wood with a hole drilled out for the probe. The wood is connected to a hook.

I have had zero issues using this method.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
Auber sold me a metal clip similar to the Maverick clip for $2.
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:03:16 PM »
That's good they have a clip now!  About time!
Tony from NW Arkansas