Author Topic: New Member "Howdy" from Texas  (Read 4519 times)

Crosswind81

New Member "Howdy" from Texas
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:57 AM »
Howdy all,

My name is Rodney Williams and I have been reading and absorbing as much as I can from this forum since I ordered my SI #3 this past Friday.  A friend I run into at the gym is always telling me about what he is smoking and how good it all is with a brand he bought at Sam's and he gave me the bug.  I started reading and researching which brand I wanted and found the Smokin It and think I have hit on a winner with all that I have read.  Can't wait to get it in and start with some baby back ribs after the break-in.  No Auber ordered but then again, I didn't know what that was 2 days ago! 

Thanks!
Rodney
~ Rodney

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: New Member "Howdy" from Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
Welcome to the site from your neighbor to the north (ND)!

I went the same route and almost put the Masterbuilt smoker out at Sam's into my cart one day. I am glad that I researched and found the Smokin-It.

Actually "Old Sarge" from this site pointed the Smokin-It out to me on another smoking meat site that I was asking some questions on. I am glad that he suggested that I take a look at the Smokin-It.

Regarding the Auber, it is a cool tool to have, but by no means necessary to produce great BBQ. I have had my smoker for over a year now and haven't taken the plunge yet and have been putting out a lot of great food out of my smoker. It is nice to have for the programmability and ability to go higher than the 250 max of the stock controller (bypass needed for this). I have recently added the new side rails, seafood racks (for Jerky), and the Jerky fan to my arsenal. I think the Auber is the only thing left that I would really need/want. So, that maybe the next purchase. But I had other accessories that I thought were more important.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
Hi Rodney, and welcome to the family!  Be sure to read the section on what to do when it arrives - it'll help!

Let us know how we can help, and I look forward to seeing you around here! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Crosswind81

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
Will do... Thank You Sir!

~ Rodney

puddle jumper

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
Welcome Crosswind from down south in Georgia...
 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »
Welcome Rodney! As a fairly new SI2 owner, I have to say you will love your #3. Best made smokers on the market!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

vetkilr

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »
Welcome and I love my #3. You will lots of great BBQ once you figure it out. Enjoy.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:11:03 PM »
I think you're gonna like it Rodney.  I just got my Auber today. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet.  I've been pretty impressed in my last couple months of owning a Model 3.

BTW, I'm on the North side of Houston.  Cheers!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Crosswind81

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
Well my #3 is broke in and is patiently smoking it's first set of baby back ribs... I bought a 3 pack from Sams, removed the membrane, rubbed with stone ground mustard, dusted with Memphis Rub and placed in the fridge overnight. Today I reapplied more rub and applied a thin coat of olive oil to my racks ...made some beans in a cast iron skillet and on they went at 1200 CST. Going for the 5.5 hrs no peek at 225...wish me luck!
~ Rodney

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 04:34:35 PM »
Good luck, Rodney!  Can't wait to hear/see the results!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
Hello from Minnesota, Rodney.

I hope you really enjoyed those ribs!!  You will find so many uses for your Model #3.  I have the 2 and am contemplating upgrading to the 3.  You will find these things arte just so reliable, and as we call it around here, allow for Lazy Q.  I never thought an electric smoker would provide so much enjoyment, but I use mine almost every weekend. 

Looking forward to hearing your results. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »
Welcome from Southeast Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill