Author Topic: Your Useage of the Smoker  (Read 5495 times)

Pawin

Your Useage of the Smoker
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
As I am leaning towards a smoker (Model #2), in order to justify a purchase, my question is how long have you owned THIS smoker, how often do you use it (in a week /month/year), and what do you use it for?

We normally do ribs 3 or 4 times a year, and I am looking at potentially doing a brisket or two, and possibly Thanksgiving turkey, along with a summer turkey.  As you can see, I presently cannot justify it, but with your Great ideas, I am sure I would be able to make it happen.  BTW most of my meat comes either from the market or side of beef we will be purchasing.

Thanks
Pawin

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Your Useage of the Smoker
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
I purchased a #2 about 2 years ago and I pretty much have something on the smoker every weekend!   Sometimes a couple of times during a weekend.     Most often, I smoke chicken (breasts, halves, etc) and maybe twice a month I will smoke 3 racks of ribs.   I smoke a turkey breast for Thanksgiving to complement the oven baked turkey.   Boston butts hit the smoker maybe 4 times a year.   I purchased a foodsaver vacuum sealer a few months ago, and that has helped to freeze extra meat that I smoke...nothing like pulling something out of the freezer mid-week!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »
Hi Pawin,

I've had a #1 for 1 1/2 years, and a #2 for 10 months.  I use mine at least once a week, if not more.  I was like you - just a few smokes a year, which was mainly due to the hassle of it all!  The prep, cleanup, constant tending the smoker, yuck!  Love the results, hated the "process!" 

What you will find with an SI smoker is that the process is SO much easier, you'll use it much more often!  Prep is mainly on the meat, and cleanup of the smoker takes about 3 minutes!  Once the meat is in the box, there's really nothing to do but wait for it to get done!  These don't require "human intervention" while they cook.  There's not foiling, spritzing, mopping, etc...  Just put it in, set the temp, and do something better until your food is done!

Let us know what other questions come up, and we'll do our best to help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
Ive had mine about a year, been smoking much longer than that.. :D
and still use it about once a week give or take...
in the summer use it to keep the house from getting hot by cooking outside...
Ribs, sausage, wings,brisket, turkey breast, jerky, shoulder, hole chickens, pork tenderloin, are my most cooked meals...
You will love it if you like eating Q..
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
Nice to see you again, John! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
I haved used my #3 for about once a week. I have tried a bunch of different meats. I found the Mrs. Likes poultry as opposed to beef. I am a raving fan of my smokin-it smoker.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

bigbassnutt

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »
I have had my #2 for about a year and use it once a week, sometimes every other week depending on my work schedule. I usually smoke ribs, boston butts, pork loins, chicken breasts and wings. Tried country style ribs today, haven't done them before and they turned out decent but going to try them a different way next time. Before getting my smoker, I grilled a lot but now would rather use the smoker if time permits.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 01:11:23 AM »
I would have to say my average is once a week also. However it is an average, my #3 is dormant some weeks and smoking several time a week others.

I have had or used several smokers over the years, this is the last one I will need or buy. They are not cheap but quality comes at a cost. SI smokers are less expensive than the comparable types smokers. I have no regrets.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Pawin

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »
Thank you for giving me this information.  Like I said, I needed justification in order to spend this type of money on something that I might only use once a month.  Your responses help open other areas where I can  potetially use it, and I am sure my wife would appreciate if I was responsible for making dinner a little more often.

Also, your responses indictate that this appears to be a very dependable smoker, with some of you having it for over two years, and using it weekly. 

When I started my search, over a year ago, I had not heard of Smokin-It, but came across other reviews of it several times, and with strong customer reviews, so I started looking closer at it over here on this website.

Thank you
Pawin

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »
You're welcome, Pawin!  Spend some time looking through the 14,000+ posts here, and you'll see why we love our smokers!  I've never seen a "manufacturer's" forum that has such activity, or loyal owners, as we have!  So many ways to use these; not just ribs/butts/briskets!  Veggies, hams, jerky, nuts, cheese, or pretty much anything!  Like Ben, the IT Guy, says - "If you can't smoke it, it ain't worth eating!" ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 07:47:10 AM »
Hi Pawin...if you are looking for an electric smoker, then you have found the right place!   You will not go wrong with the SI smoker.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TJ

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 11:30:16 PM »
Use mine about once a month. Justifying the cost vs use doesn't really matter to me. We are not rich but I am tired of buying crap that breaks down and has to be replaced.
The construction of this smoker leads me to believe it will be here long after I am gone. Sometimes money doesn't have as much meaning as using something that has a superior build quality and I know I can get parts for it 15 years down the road.
Crossville Tennessee

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
Pawin, you may only smoke a few times a year but I'll bet you will do a lot more than that with a SI. Love my #2.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

es1025

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »
I bet you will use it more due to the ease of use.

It so easy, you will be smoking ribs once a week.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?