Author Topic: First Smoke on the Model #2  (Read 6319 times)

Mark C

First Smoke on the Model #2
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »
Just received my Model #2 this week.  It's 2 hours into it's seasoning.  Ribs are waiting for a bit of mustard and a rub.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a very basic/good rub for the ribs?

Nervous and excited about my first smoke first thing tomorrow AM!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: First Smoke on the Model #2
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »
Welcome Mark! You will love your SI#2. I got mine this summer and love it. Try the Memphis Dust for your first one. It's in the rubs section of the forum. Post pics when you are done!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Mark C

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
Thanks Bob

Just put the rub on the brisket and ribs.  They'll be sitting in the fridge overnight for their smoke tomorrow.

Seasoning is complete... from the pics attached, it looks like it was a successful "season".

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »
Perfect!  You are good to go.   I always use Jeff Phillips rub, but you would need to purchase that from his smoking-meat web site.     Try the Memphis rub and see what you think...experimentation is a beautiful thing!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 06:39:57 PM »
Off and running, Mark!  If you're pressed for time, or just don't want to mess with making a rub from scratch, try Famous Dave's Rib Rub on any pork.  Although I use rubs I make, the Dave's rib rub is still my favorite!  Lots of grocery stores carry it, or you can order it from Amazon.com pretty cheap.  Good mix of sweet & heat, and makes a great bark!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Mark C

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:20:53 AM »
Thanks for the note Tony... I may do that or take the time to make a large batch for myself to keep on the shelves.

Ok... first smoke of ribs and brisket (and potatoes) are in the #2.  I've added a small tray of hard apple cider as well at the bottom (pic attached).

Goal is to open 5 hours from now!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:16:42 PM »
Big first smoke, Mark!  One suggestion about your ribs - always lay them in bone-side down; the results will be better.  Since you have a big load of meat in there, I would suggest not opening up to check the ribs until at least 4.5 hours.  What temp are you set at?  Always kind of hard smoking things that cook very different.  I go 225 for briskets, but smoke ribs at 235.  I don't think 235 would hurt you, considering how much mass there is in the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Mark C

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »
Thanks Tony

So I think I discovered a few things.  I'd first say that the ribs were excellent... family loved them, but I think the could have been better.

- I cooked everything on 220 (so I assume way too low) and the ribs ended up going 6 hours before I pulled them.
- I took the brisket out at 5 hours and as you probably could imagine, good, but a bit on the dry side.
- I noticed that liquid pooled up on the ribs which is probably the reason I should have put the bone side down.
- Lastly, I'm not sure if you can put too much liquid (the hard cider) in the smoker, but I somehow felt that I more braised the ribs.  This may have had to do more with the fact that they were upside down.

All in all, a good first smoke and some lessons learned for me.  Just wants to make we go back at it again!

Pics attached.

Mark

es1025

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »
Nice job for the 1st time.

Next time on your brisket the internal temp you are looking for is 195.  Brisket typically takes 2 hours/lb.

I second Famous Dave's rub fora store bought, Memphis dust is awesome if you want to make your own.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »
Congrats on getting that "first smoke" under your belt, Mark!  This is constantly a learning process, for all of us!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Mark C

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »
Going for the second smoke today.  Smaller load... 2 racks of baby back ribs.  No liquid.  Set to 235.

Will open in 5 hours!

Tomorrow I'm going to smoke some sausages...

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
No liquid.

Everything sounds awesome - except this.  Let us know how the no liquid ribs turn out.  Personally, I always use a water pan for anything other than poultry or jerky.  I like the moisture it adds.  Just my 2ยข...
Tony from NW Arkansas

Mark C

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
Will do.  I have to say it was more a miss than a plan, but when I realized it, I didn't want to open the door again.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 04:33:23 PM »
Hehe.  I understand, Mark!  At least it wasn't like me, the time I "forgot" to poke a hole in the drain hole of the foil on the bottom!  :o   By the time I realized it, the smoker was hot and juice was flowing.  Let me tell you, that was a real trick getting that done in the dark, at 4 am!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Mark C

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
Well... they are finished, glazed lightly with some BBQ and we went through most of them already.  While the outside bark is a bit harder without the liquid, the meat is as tender and juicy!

Turned out great and lovin' the #2!