Author Topic: 50lbs of Snack Stix on the docket for this weekend  (Read 12900 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
50lbs of Snack Stix on the docket for this weekend
« on: October 16, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »
We have 50lbs of Snack Stix to smoke this weekend. This is the last of our meat from our 2013 deer/hog butchering.

I made a new sausage hanging rack that I am affectionately calling the "Sausage Rack 1000" ;)

We got everything all mixed up and stuffed this morning and will be smoking tomorrow morning, half in my Dad's Big Masterbuilt (propane) and the other half in my #3.

This will be my first attempt at Snack Stix with the Jerky Dryer. The last batch of stix without the dryer didn't turn out the best as they basically steamed in the smoker instead of smoked. I am cautiously optimistic about this batch.

Here are some pics of my new rack and the stuffed stix hanging.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

es1025

Re: 50lbs of Snack Stix on the docket for this weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Looks really good.

Ill take a couple of links.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »
Man, Gregg, that is one SWEET sausage rack!  Bet you could market those!  Really nice job! :D

But....something that nice deserves to, at least, be called the "Sausage Rack 2000!" ;D   Feel free to ship me some samples, for "independent evaluation purposes," of course! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »
Well, since it was the first version, I figured it would be the 1000.

I'll post more pics tomorrow of the results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
I like your rack, I used a laundry drying rack a few times but it didn't hold up. I am looking forward to seeing your results.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
Nicely done Gregg! I note in one of the pictures you have some Havoline motor oil. Plan on experimenting with the flavor profile?  ;) Can't wait to see the results.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
Nicely done Gregg! I note in one of the pictures you have some Havoline motor oil. Plan on experimenting with the flavor profile?  ;) Can't wait to see the results.

That's my Dad's for his tractors.

Stix in the propane smoker are already done and look awesome! We skipped the ice bath as it is quite cool here in ND today. We just hung them back on the racks and within mutes they were cooled.

The ones in my #3 are taking a little longer. The jerky dryer is really pumping the moisture out of the box.

I'll post pics when they're all done.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »
Greg,
Please post the details with the pics.
Cold or hot smoker, what temp, how long etc.

Thanks
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 06:52:50 PM »
Well, this batch went a lot better than my last attempt. The Jerky Dryer really made a huge difference in removing the moisture that ended up steaming instead of smoking the previous batch.

There were definitely some hot spots in the back of the smoker that burnt some of the ends. When I noticed this, I rotated all of the trays from top to bottom and back to front. Next time I will schedule my rotation earlier to try to prevent the burnt ends.

I smoked for an hour at 175, then two hours at 200. With all of that meat in the smoker, it had a hard time getting up to temp so I ran it at 225 for two hours and then backed it down to 200 for the remaining two hours. So, it took a total of seven hours. I ended up going more by sight to tell when they were done because I was having a hard time getting an accurate reading from my Maverick. I think it was bad probe placement.

The batch in my Dad's smoker was done in about half of the time and ran at a straight 200 for the whole time give or take a few temp swings before I could get the temp dialed in.

Cold meat into a cold smoker with 3 ounces of hickory.

I used a store bought original Excalibur seasoning package.

Here are some pics.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:06:05 AM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »
Nicely done Gregg! You're making me hungry!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
Those look fantastic, Gregg!  Nice job! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 12:59:56 AM »
Those look real good. No issues with the casing slipping or pealing?
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
Those look real good. No issues with the casing slipping or pealing?

No, no slippage yet. But I have found them to be nice and tight prior to vacuum sealing but then sometimes become loose after being sealed in the food saver bag for awhile. Hopefully these will stick.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
Should have asked this earlier but it just occurred to me, would you go cold meat cold smoker again or hot smoker cold meat?

I am wondering about warming it up at 250 then throwing in the racks of meat and dropping it to 200. What do you think?
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
Should have asked this earlier but it just occurred to me, would you go cold meat cold smoker again or hot smoker cold meat?

I am wondering about warming it up at 250 then throwing in the racks of meat and dropping it to 200. What do you think?

I am not sure about that. What would be the goal/purpose?
Gregg - Fargo, ND