Author Topic: The "flavor" of Smoke  (Read 2356 times)

elk_smoker

The "flavor" of Smoke
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »
Got a question for everyone.

My last electric smoker used a proprietary wood for smoking.  I only had the chance to use Hickory wood before that unit died.  One thing I noticed about that wood was that it did indeed impart a smoke flavor to the meat (St. Louis Ribs and Pulled Pork), but I didn't get that distinctive hickory flavor I am so used to. 

In questioning the user forum for that brand of smoker/wood, I was told that the lack of distinct hickory flavor was due to everything from "the purity of the wood" to "i stood in the smoke all day" to a "lack of sophisticated pallet".

The pallet remark did make me laugh.

My question to you all is, do you get distinct hickory, apple, cherry, etc... flavor from the wood you use in the Smokin-it or is the lack of wood flavor distinction simply an attribute of electric smokers?

Thanks to all,

ELK_SMOKER
I never fail. I succeed at finding what does not work.

Smokin-IT Model 3,  Cajun Grill Super Cajun w/offset Firebox,  Southwest Smokers Portable Smoker/Grill, Backyard Steakhouse Infrared Grill,  Charbroil Big Easy Infrared Fryer

Kevin from S.E. Louisiana

TARDISgirl

Re: The "flavor" of Smoke
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
I haven't had the chance to try more than a couple of woods, but when I switched from hickory to sugar maple, I did notice a definite difference. The maple was more subtle and did give the meat a slight sweetness that was absent in using the hickory.
I know a lot of people mix their wood -- usually a hardwood like hickory and oak with a fruit wood like apple or cherry.
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: The "flavor" of Smoke
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »
Good question, Elk!

Good quality chunk wood is essential (no offense to chips or pellets, I'm just a chunk guy)!  Aside from the hickory dowels that came with your smoker (which, btw, impart a very good hickory flavor), I get my wood from Fruitawood.com or MaineGrillingWoods.com.  They offer very clean, properly-seasoned wood designed for smoking.  I've never been disappointed with the quality or selection.

To me, the best thing about these smokers is that you can focus on the prep of the meat (seasonings, rubs, brines, etc...) and the type of wood smoke flavor profile you are looking for - not the process of actually cooking!  Because these smokers are so tight, and hold moisture so well, we can use much less wood than many others smokers use.  That also means the only thing that affects the flavor of the meat is the prep, and what kind of wood you use!  There are very distinct differences in the hardwoods and fruit woods that we use, but you need to experiment with that yourself.

Wood smoke flavor is very subjective, but there are some guidelines available for what wood to use.  Everyone is different on how smokey they like things, and what flavor of smoke.  For example, I can use hickory on just about anything.  I grew up in Arkansas, and it's the BBQ wood of choice down here.  But, I absolutely love cherry on pork and poultry!  It's a different flavor, and a little milder than hickory.  Big mesquite fan for beef, as well as oak and hickory.  But, that's just me! 

I find the wood smoke flavor to be much more "true" in these smokers than any other way I've smoked BBQ.  There is no influence on it, except heat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!