Author Topic: Curing Salts.  (Read 14586 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Curing Salts.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 11:17:46 PM »
I was so turned off by the "toxic" statement I would have dumped it anyway.

Here's the full recipe link.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/disney_smoked_turkey_legs.html

Don't be turned-off by "toxic."  Curing salt is a vital part of cured meat, and prevents things like botulism from forming!  If you eat ham, Canadian bacon, bacon, sausage, etc..., it is cured with this!  There are many things we eat that are "toxic," in large doses.   The key is having the right amount so it's NOT toxic! 

Here's what I mean:  Water is "toxic," if consumed in a large dose, over a short period of time.  You can actually die from water toxicity.  Do you take vitamins?  Vitamin A is toxic, if you take too much!  What I'm getting at is the FDA has to put the "toxic" label on anything that will harm you in large doses.  Are you going to drink 2 gallons of water in an hour?  Are you going to take a whole bottle of vitamin A?  No!  Curing salts are no different!  They are totally safe, when used properly!

I am amazed that this recipe was on amazingribs!  Meathead is usually really on top of his stuff, but this brine recipe is dangerous! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 01:07:35 AM »
Tony, as far as I know, I have never eaten anything in my life that said toxic on the package. Yes many things are toxic, but bacon, water, etc. do not say that on the packages or bottles. I'm not knocking the use of the nitrite in proper fashion, but even the fact that you agree the recipe might be dangerous tells me that for the neophyte like me who has never used such a product that I am better off not messing with it. I wouldn't know a good recipe from a bad one... a safe one from a dangerous one. Remember, I made this recipe and we ate it. I had no idea that this could have affected my family or myself.

It's unfortunate that this was how I was introduced to the nitrites but it just totally turned me off. I am sure for those who use it properly it does a great job.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:30:42 AM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
That is a pretty strong brine. I wouldn't have used it. I would go with a weaker brine and longer soak.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
So Brian, do you in general use curing salt #2 in stead of #1 when you are making dry rubbed bacon? I am getting ready to try a Black Forest Bacon recipe I am going to modify to fit better health standards. The Germans that I got the recipe from have to get special permission from the EU to make it the traditional way. Go Europe!  :o I am looking for the flavor profile more than anything.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »
Always use #1 unless a recipe calls for #2. #2 is called for in specialized dry cured sausages that hang for a long time, think of it as time release #1.

My bacon and also my maple Loins use the same dry cured process. I rub the meat in the basic cure of kosher, sugar and #1. The process is a dry cure as the meat is not in a brine.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:38:48 PM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »
I believe #2 is most commonly used in processes that take more than 14 days because of its ability for the nitrates to time release nitrites.  I recently used .25% of the protien weight of instacure #2 in both drycures for Breasola & Procuttini.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
I believe #2 is most commonly used in processes that take more than 14 days

You can't believe or guess with this stuff, you have to know. Only pull out the #2 if the recipe calls for it. I have used it once in four years.

- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
I completely agree Brian.  This deduction is part from recipes & part from research.  However, I dont get creative with instacure 1 or 2, I follow the recipes.  If my recollection is correct, I think it is 4 grams injested (of #2) is enough to kill an average man.  Not to be played with!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:11:34 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »
#2 is time release #1. I like the definition and I think it differentiates well. Since I'm not a cured sausage making guy, I doubt I'll need any #2.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
About that Disney turkey leg brine being dangerous in terms of nitrite amount.

FWIW, here's how an immersion brine is checked for safety (it's important to remember that only a portion of the cure is absorbed into the meat.)

Weight of the Nitrite x Percentage of Brine Pick-Up x 1,000,000 ÷ Total Weight of the Brine = PPM Nitrite

4 teaspoons Morton's Kosher Salt (19 grams)
1 teaspoon Prague Powder #1 (5 grams)
3 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar (45 grams)
1 cup Warm Water (237 grams)

Weight of the Nitrite... 5 grams of Cure #1 x 6.25%=.3125 gram Nitrite
Total Weight of the Brine=306 grams

At 10% Pick-Up....
.3125 x 10% x 1,000,000=31250
31250÷306=102 PPM Nitrite

At 15% Pick-Up....
.3125 x 15% x 1,000,000=46875
46875÷306=153 PPM Nitrite

It may not even hit 10% pick-up.

Well within the 200PPM government limit used by many folks as a measure of safety.

HTH
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:07:12 PM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
Thanks for the breakdown, Martin - very informative, as usual!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!