Author Topic: Curing Salts.  (Read 14564 times)

jpittssr

Curing Salts.
« on: October 03, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
This may be posted in the wrong place. If so please move it.
There has been some discussion about the different curing salts.
I looked everywhere for Morton's Tender Quick to no avail. I did order some Prague #1 which is much stronger,
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:12:29 AM by jpittssr »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Curing Salts.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:13:16 PM »
Ed, the Tender Quick and Sugar Cure are certainly different animals, compared to the #1 curing salt you ordered.  The TQ and SC contain both sodium nitrites and sodium nitrates, in a much-reduced amount.  The reason is that they are intended to be used as a dry cure.  That is, rub them on the meat, put in a plastic bag, and place in the fridge.  They require flipping daily, for several days (depending on what you are curing).  The nitrates, in these, convert to nitrites, over time.  Prague powder #2 is similar, minus the sugar.

The #1 Prague powder (also know as "Instacure #1) is a higher concentration of sodium nitrite and salt only.  A little goes a long way!  It is generally used for brines (wet cures), although it can also be used in dry brining. 

I, too, have never seen Tender Quick in any local stores, but regularly see the Sugar Cure.  I, personally, have never used either.  I only do wet brine cures, so I haven't had the need for them.  However, I am planning on trying some belly bacon (if I can just FIND some good pork bellies), so I'll be trying dry brining then!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »
My basic dry cure is Morton Tender quick (basically)

Basic Dry Cure
1Pound or 450 grams Kosher Salt
8 oz. or 225 Grams Sugar
2 oz. or 50 grams or 10 teaspoons Pink Salt Curing Salt #2

Sugar Cure is tender quick with more sugar. It works the same as if I use the basic cure and toss in maple suryp and brown sugar to bump up the sweetness.

The Morton products can be purchased online http://morton.elsstore.com/shop/subcatprodx.asp?storeID=118E3132AD8349CDBCB34DF64BCCEBB9&category_id=40892&subcategory_id=40892 but it is cheaper to make the dry cure.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 01:09:01 AM »
Yes, regular Morton's Sugar Cure is interchangeable with Tender Quick. Sugar Cure has just a tiny bit more sugar, <1% dextrose and the spice packet.
Morton's Smoke-Flavored Sugar Cure is a very different product (with nitrate, no nitrite) which is only intended for dry-curing.
~Martin

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:36 AM »
This link gives great information on curing salts and nitrites. http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/10/08/cured-meat-nitrites-cancer?cmpid=foodinc-fb
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

Re: Curing Salts
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:52:38 PM »
I ordered pink salt #1 - Prague cure, on Amazon and tried some on turkey legs. It tasted just plain lousy even though it was part of a Disney turkey leg brine recipe I found on line. I did not know what it was until I looked on the package and saw it was 100% sodium nitrite. I know it's in lots of things I eat but I just don't want to use it in my cooking. I threw the whole package in the garbage. Not for me!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:58:05 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »
Better to throw the package in the garbage than to kill yourself. Too much nitrite will kill you, although not using it when you should can also kill you. It would be better to understand the product and application and avoid the whole dieing setback.  Curing salts are an ingredient in recipes not a special flavoring. You don't season meat with sodium nitrite you cure with it. Here is another simplified explanation  http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/seasoningflavoring/a/nitrates.htm

- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 08:29:06 AM »
What scared me the most was that in big letters on the package it said and I quote " THIS PRODUCT IS TOXIC". No question that it has its uses and is used everywhere but seeing that was to much for me to handle in my cooking hobby.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:31:39 AM by Barrel99 »

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
Barrel99,
Do you happen to have a link to that specific product on Amazon?

Thanks!
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
Arnie,  If your product was indeed "100%" sodium nitrite, it's no wonder you thought it was terrible!  The Instacure #1 I use is only 6.25% sodium nitrite, and it takes very little in a wet brine to have a big effect!

How did you use it, and how much did you use?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »
According to the description on Amazon it says 6.25%. But the only ingredient I remember on the package was sodium nitrite. That's why I said 100%. So it might be the 6.25 but not identified on the package as I remember it.

Here is the link for the Prague powder:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Prague-Powder/dp/B008NH7AUA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1415935048&sr=8-6&keywords=prague+salt

Here are the ingredients from the brine used for the turkey legs to give you an idea what was used.

Ingredients
2 large turkey drumsticks
4 teaspoons Morton's kosher salt
1 teaspoon Prague powder #1
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 cup warm water

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:38:55 PM by Barrel99 »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »
If your product was indeed "100%" sodium nitrite, it's no wonder you thought it was terrible!  The Instacure #1 I use is only 6.25% sodium nitrite

100% Instacure = 6.25% Nitrite + 93.75% Sodium (Salt)

Nitrite AND Sodium make Sodium Nitrite (instarure)
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
If your product was indeed "100%" sodium nitrite, it's no wonder you thought it was terrible!  The Instacure #1 I use is only 6.25% sodium nitrite

100% Instacure = 6.25% Nitrite + 93.75% Sodium (Salt)

Nitrite AND Sodium make Sodium Nitrite (instarure)

Thanks for the clarification on that, Brian - you're absolutely right!  I read his post like it was 100% nitrite! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »
According to the description on Amazon it says 6.25%. But the only ingredient I remember on the package was sodium nitrite. That's why I said 100%. So it might be the 6.25 but not identified on the package as I remember it.

Here is the link for the Prague powder:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Prague-Powder/dp/B008NH7AUA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1415935048&sr=8-6&keywords=prague+salt

Here are the ingredients from the brine used for the turkey legs to give you an idea what was used.

Ingredients
2 large turkey drumsticks
4 teaspoons Morton's kosher salt
1 teaspoon Prague powder #1
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 cup warm water

I see your problem.  That is a VERY large concentration of #1 for such a small amount of brine!  When I use it in my pork butt or loin brine, it's in a gallon of water, NOT 1 cup!  Not sure where you got that recipe, but if you are wanting curing salt in your turkey leg brine, you need to make a larger amount of brine.  I, personally, don't use Instacure on poultry.

Here's a poultry brine I use, and have good luck with:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1447.0

It's OK to mix a gallon of brine, even for a small amount of meat.  It makes the ratios so much easier to gauge.  Let me put this in perspective:

If I added #1 Instacure to my brine, in the ratio you have above, I would have to add 5 1/3 Tbsp.!  That's 16 times the amount I actually use!  Like I said before - a LITTLE of this goes a LONG way!  Too bad you threw away the bag you bought; it's a great tool in the BBQ tool box, but only if used properly.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Barrel99

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
I was so turned off by the "toxic" statement I would have dumped it anyway.

Here's the full recipe link.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/disney_smoked_turkey_legs.html