Author Topic: First try at jerky  (Read 10339 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Re: First try at jerky
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »
Hi Guys:

I have to agree with Brian and Gregg as well.  At least smoking jerky at 140 degrees, I definitely would want to make sure the meat has been cured using some type of pink salt.  In fact, I will be smoking my family sausage recipe at 140 degrees and will be using Tenderquick for the cure.  Just have to be safe no days, even though I trust my local meat market. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
Thanks for the curing salt clarification, Brian.  That's the way I understood it, with the exception of using #1 in dry cures.  I thought the concentration of nitrite was too high to use in a rub that sits in the fridge for a long while (like bacon).  My understanding was, that the low concentration of nitrites and nitrates in #2 are suited more for the long-term dry cures.  Good to know.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigfoot21075

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
Well, my first attempt at beef jerky is complete.  I have to say, I love my James Jerky Dryer!  I took the easy way out and did just a dry seasoning this first go around.  I also used my new Jerky Slicer from Cabela's.

WELL DAMN! The slicer is on sale right now, another hundred bucks just flew out of my wallet...
 8)
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »
Ha!  And so our hobby goes, Bigfoot!   ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

MNGuy1959

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
Hi Everyone:

I just finished my third batch of jerky.  Sorry, I didn't take any more pictures.  I have to say, the Jerky Dryer is my favorite item I have purchased for smoking.  Well, that and my Jerky Slicer I mentioned above.  Those two items make the whole jerky process seamless.  Of course, the Auber PID is priceless, so, I guess I love all my items :)

For anyone contemplating buying the Jerky Dryer, I would say, you will get your investment back within a few months, depending on how much jerky you make.  I am starting to get this down and am making 5 lbs. batches at a time. 

I am still cheating a bit, and using the cure and spices from Cabela's, but I really like their product, and it is a dry spice, so it is easy to clean up. 

The flavor and texture of my jerky simply is awesome, and I can't keep it in my fridge or freezer long enough.  Of course, part of the fun on smoking, is sharing.  My family and friends all rave about this jerky. 
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »
No worries about the packaged cure, Gene!  If you like it, and it's easy, go for it!  One of my all-time favorite rubs for pork is Famous Dave's Rib Rub, but I don't care that I didn't make it from scratch - I LIKE it! 

Cured jerky, with the jerky fan in our smokers, is the bomb!  It's hands-down the best jerky I've ever had.  It's the key to really "professional" results!  Nice job! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

MNGuy1959

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »
Thanks, Tony!  I am trying to remember why I didn't buy the James Jerky dryer right away.  I still always bought my regular store purchased jerky, but no more!!  My buddy who has a Model #3 is now going to order one.  He is that impressed with the results he has seen.  I will be making jerky all Fall and Winter.  Even up here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota. 
Gene from Minnesota

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »
I remember why I didn't get it in the initial order. The dryer, hook, & cover were deleted after I saw the shipping costs. I just return a borrowed dryer to a friend and ordered myself one. Just under $100 with three day shipping. I was apprehensive on spending that even though I initially was going to order it.

After having used it I have no issues with the cost. Best and simplest jerky I have ever made.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1831.0
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud