Author Topic: Transporting the SI#2  (Read 5583 times)

CUTiger80

Transporting the SI#2
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
I am wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on transporting the unit between home and the campground where my camper is stored?  I know that I need to remove all the racks, rails, pans, and smoke box.  Do I need to support the heating element in any way?  I was planning on turning the unit on it's back in the back of my truck and strapping it down.  Any advice from you experts would be appreciated.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Transporting the SI#2
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:19:20 AM »
I have transported my #3 with no problems.

I asked the same thing to Steve before doing so and this was his response:

You may want to remove the wood box from inside the smoker if you plan on laying the smoker on it's side.

And watch for grilling racks when you finally open the smoker door.  Other than that you should not have any issues

I wouldn't bother taking the racks out. They travel well and are tight enough in there where they would not move during transport. I have tried laying mine on its side and also upright. I prefer to travel with it upright, because when I traveled with it on its side it leaked some smoke juice out. I thought I had it all cleaned out, but it leaked from some place that I have missed.

Either way I would take the smoke box out to prevent the strain on the smoke box guides. But other than that I would leave everything else in place. If you travel with it upright and there is a chance of rain, but piece of clear packing tape or something similar to keep rain out may be a good idea.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
I have a #3 and would transport with; Smoker upright & strapped down, wheels locked, racks in, firebox out, a rolled newspaper under heating element to eliminate bounce.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

CUTiger80

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.
I will need to transport it on either it's side or back to fit under my bed cover.  That said, I think I will go ahead and remove everything from the inside (smoke box, racks, rails) just to be safe and lay it on a piece of cardboard to catch any "smoke juice" that may leak out.  I may go ahead and ball up some newspaper and stuff under the element just to secure it.
Ravel

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
When I travel with mine upright, I just open my bed cover enough to allow the smoker to fit up against it.

I can see removing the smoker box and supporting the element. But, I don't see the purpose/need for removing the racks whether it is traveling upright or on its side. They fit so well in the smoker that I just don't see the need for removing them. They aren't going to have anywhere to move during travel. If you take them out where are you going to put them so that they don't slide around in the back of your truck?

In the end, do what you are comfortable with. This is just my 2 cents.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

CUTiger80

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
Gregg, I see your point.  With the door closed and latched, there is really no where for the racks, etc. to go.  Thanks for clarifying this for me.  I'll let you know how it works out.
Ravel

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
You got it Ravel. That was all I was trying to say. Sorry if I sounded pushy.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

puddle jumper

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 01:23:04 AM »
All of this is good info and has made me think, but I have hauled mine all over the south , I just throw it in the truck put some cardboard under it to catch any "smoke juice" and go, I have never really done anything and never had any problems... now that's just highway riding, not off road riding,,,
LOL
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »
All of this is good info and has made me think, but I have hauled mine all over the south , I just throw it in the truck put some cardboard under it to catch any "smoke juice" and go, I have never really done anything and never had any problems... now that's just highway riding, not off road riding,,,
LOL
PJ

There you go, John!  Another testament to how good these are built!  I'd haul mine the same way. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
Some pics of mine getting ready for a 2.5 hour drive to my parent's house.

50lbs of Snack Stix to smoke this weekend.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Walt

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 10:35:26 PM »
Nice bed cover.  I have a similar setup & its great.  Looks like it works well for you.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »
Nice bed cover.  I have a similar setup & its great.  Looks like it works well for you.

Yeah, it is cool that I can lock it in place at any position.
Gregg - Fargo, ND