Author Topic: Sirloin Tip Roast with Brisket Injection  (Read 3082 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Sirloin Tip Roast with Brisket Injection
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »
Trying something a little different with a tip roast today.  I picked up a really nice-looking 9 lb choice Top Sirloin Tip Roast at Sam's yesterday.  They sell the cryovac roasts in the bulk meat section.  The tip roasts, with the trussing around them, in the regular meat section, are $5.97/lb (choice), and the bulk pack (also choice) are $3.97/lb! 

Yesterday afternoon, I mixed up some of my brisket injection, and gave the roast a good dose of it.  After a coat of Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning, I plastic-wrapped it to rest in the fridge overnight.

This morning, it was unwrapped (smelling really good), given a coat of Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce, and a little more Baldridge seasoning.

Into the smoker, with 5 oz. of whiskey barrel oak and mesquite, and a pan of apple cider.  I'm running the Auber at 210°, to an internal temp of 130°.  When it reaches IT, I'll wrap in foil for it to rest, while the oven heats to 500.  5-7 minutes of reverse-sear, and it should be done!

Pictures and results to follow!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sirloin Tip Roast with Brisket Injection
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
OK, so 5-6 lb tip roasts, I've done in the past, have taken about 3.5 hours to smoke to 130.  This one was 9 lbs, so I was expecting around 5 hours (when I put it on at 10:45 a.m.).  Nope...

2:15 pm - 3.5 hours in - the Auber ends the program at IT 130!  Wow.  I trust the IT probe on the Auber, and I know I had it placed right, so in the foil it went!  Wife and son were out shopping, and too early for dinner.

The roast spent the next hour in the cooler, double-wrapped in foil and covered in towels.  Oven was preheated to 475, with a meat rack inside to also preheat.  The roast then spent 8 minutes in the hot oven to finish the outside.

When I sliced it, I noticed it was more done than usual, at that temp.  Hmm... I wonder if the injection, or length of wrapped rest, pushed the IT over where I would have liked it to stay.  This was medium to medium-well on doneness.  This was the first time injecting, and the first time with the more than done results.

However, the roast was very moist, tender, and tasted fantastic!  The internal meat, which is normally kind of plain, actually had some flavor!  I use McCormick Au Jus gravy mix for tip roasts, instead of BBQ sauce.  The meat, and au jus, was really very tasty.  In fact, it was the best tip roast taste, to date!  Next time, with this technique, I plan on pulling it for wrap at no higher than 125. 

All in all, a successful smoke in the #2! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!