Author Topic: The Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener  (Read 10019 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
The Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener
« on: September 26, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »
So, Saturday morning, awhile back, I'm drinking coffee and channel surfing.  Normally, I skim right over anything that even smells like an "infomercial."  I passed the Outdoor Channel, and they were talking about the Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener.

Hmm... I have tried about every knife sharpener known to man, but this looks different.  With the users demonstrating the sharpener, it actually looked like a well-designed tool that just might work like they say!  Impressed as I was, I did not succumb to the call to "Buy Now!" of the infomercial, but instead headed to the computer!

What I discovered was that the sharpener is made by a company called Darex, started in 1973, in Beecher, Illinois.  They have Darex industrial drill sharpeners, own the Drill Doctor line of home DIY drill sharpeners, and own Work Sharp.  OK, I thought, this might be legit!

I stepped out, with the $99 "TV Offer" and ordered the sharpener.  Money-back guarantee, so I thought "what the heck!"  The TV special includes the tool, as well as:

• FREE DVD – Secrets to “Shaving Sharp” knives  ($10 Value)
  • FREE – Field Hone / Touch-Up Sharpener ($19.95 Value)
  • FREE – One set of belts ($15 Value)
  • FREE – Tote Bag ($16 Value)
  • FREE S&H ($13 Value)
90 Day Money Back Guarantee
My wife, just rolled her eyes, and knew she had no choice but to sit back and watch.  lol.  Guess that's why she's stuck with me almost 30 years!

So what happened when it arrived?

Expecting my usual disappointment with a "sight unseen" purchase like this, I wasn't expecting what I received.  First, the package arrived in good condition, within about 4 business days (ships from Oregon).  Secondly, everything was included in the package!

I was impressed with the construction of the sharpening tool.  It's essentially a belt sander, with custom knife and tool guides that attach to it.  I watched the tips video, and ready to sharpen some knives!
Using the appropriate guides (which install and uninstall very easily - just slip them over the belt area), I got out every knife in my kitchen, and got down to business.  You do a few passes, on each side of the blade, with the 220 grit belt, then change the belt to the 6000 grit "honing" belt to finish them off.  The belt change is very quick and simple.

Wow.  Pretty much says it all!  I had a bunch of knives sharpened, to a very sharp edge, in a matter of minutes!  I'd say it took no more than 1-2 minutes per knife.  With the multiple-angle guides you get, finding the right one is easy.  I now run my knives through even faster, since I know which guide to use!
Here is a product that actually works as advertised.  I'm not an affiliate sponsor, or anything like that, but (like with SI), a satisfied owner!  The sharpener is easy to setup, easy to use, and produces great results!  It even comes with 80 grit belts for sharpening tools (mower blades, axes, etc.).  Needless to say, I believe this will (finally) be the last knife sharpener I buy!  And, that makes my wife smile, too! ;)

http://www.worksharptools.com/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener-infomercial-us-only.html

Let me also explain why else I'm impressed with this sharpener:  Ease of use.  I have been working with tools since I was a boy, and know how to put a razor-sharp edge on anything from knives, to planer blades, to obscure things like gravers.  I have spent countless hours with every kind of sharpening stone you can imagine, and smelling like cutting oil.  While yes, there is a great deal of satisfaction in producing a finely-honed edge on a cutting instrument, by hand, there is also satisfaction that I can produce an edge that serves my needs, in a fraction of the time!  So, I like this sharpener for the same reason I love SI smokers; I don't have time for the process, I just want the results!  With this, the results are a short step from the process!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:51:20 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

Re: The Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »
Another gadget, I may have to purchase.

DM, same boat with wife rolling eyes about my purchase habits.  Rolled eyes on smokin-it smoker, but now she is a believer.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
DM, same boat with wife rolling eyes about my purchase habits.  Rolled eyes on smokin-it smoker, but now she is a believer.

Hehe...yeah.  Mine rolls her eyes, but knows my purchases usually pan out, so she takes a "wait and see" approach now! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »
I watched the infomercial last night and it looks like a pretty cool device. I would like one, but any extra dollars for me are saving for an Auber now that I have my Jerky Dryer, Seafood racks, and Victoronix Slicing knife purchased.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
Gregg, this would be a nice one for your list to Santa. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Snoopy

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
I know a guy that did the same thing you did. Watched the info on outdoor channel and took a chance and ordered it. He swears by it as well so this just confirmed what he told me that it is a good investment. I will def be asking santa for this! Thanks for the review  :)
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »
Thanks, Lance.  Nice to hear some "independent confirmation!"  I know my review sounds a little like an infomercial, but it's not.  lol.  Couldn't be happier with the chance I took!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »
Properly done knives should only need the edges reset (sharpened) one a year. the remainder of the time they should be honed or trued before each major use. That is typically done on a steel sometimes called a honing knife. I have not watched the infomercial yet but I a apprehensive to grind away my investment. I took about $3,000. in knives to Northwestern Cutlery and let the pros do them for $3.50 each. I spent $45 for their services but likley wont need it again for a year or more. I nearly have a seizure thinking about taking my or my fathers Randall Made to a power-belt myself. That's $800 just in those two blades.

I hope it servers you well, I will pass and leave it to the pros.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »
I hope it servers you well, I will pass and leave it to the pros.

If I had $3k worth of knives, I might think twice, too, Brian!  Yikes!  Like I said, this is not for everyone, and knew I'd draw some fire from the purists out there (no offense - I totally understand your position).  This is just an easy solution for those of us who don't have really high $ knives, and just want a sharp blade, with convenience.  I do "touch ups" with the 6000 grit honing belt, not the grinding belt.  It's so soft, you wouldn't think it does anything, but it polishes the edge nicely.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:48:08 AM »
I wasn't trying to brag I bought some inherited others. Some are hand made hunting knives Randall Made, and Olsen. The Randal's have doubled in value since buying them. Others are custom hunters that were gifted to my kids from their god-father. I have a mixed set of forged Henckels also.

Your right, it is likely a good tool for average kitchen cutlery.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
Oh, that wasn't bragging, Brian!  Just sounds like you're proud of some really fine cutlery - no harm in that!  Sounds like a set anyone would be envious of!  Like I said, I'd think twice about using it on knives like those, but it's great on the El Cheapo knives I have. lol.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:49:27 PM »
I've got the Ken Onion edition. Had it for over a year now.  Love it!  I sharpen all my knives and as it turns out, all my friends knives!  I'm very happy with it!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »
I almost sprung for the KO edition, but the TV deal was too good to pass on!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
Hi Tony, I have found this sharpener at Northern Tool, theirs is a little pricy for the kit like you purchased. But, I can get just the sharpener, belts, cd and instruction book for $79.00. I really do not need the ceramic honing tool as I have a butcher steel nor do I need the bag. Just a question about the ceramic honing tool would you say is the same as a butcher steel?? But, am off as need to sharpen some knives.. Mine are all Chicago cutlery pretty good knives but not real expensive... That and the lawn mower blade if and when winter decides to leave. Thanks, Bill
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »
That should work great, Bill.  I never even use the small ceramic hone.  The sharpener is the main event.
Tony from NW Arkansas