Author Topic: New York steaks  (Read 5095 times)

TJ

New York steaks
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
Have two steaks that are about 1 1/8 thick and weigh about 14 ounces each. Would like to try them out on the smoker.
How should I go about it? We both prefer medium rare.
Crossville Tennessee

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: New York steaks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
Smoke them at a low temp 120 or with an auber 130 for about an hour. Pull the steaks season and sear them on a screaming hot fire. A charcoal chimney starter full of white hot coals with a grate on top would be ideal. The will only need a few minutes per side at the most.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
TJ,

We had a pretty good discussion about steaks awhile back:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=123.0

From the consensus, if you're going for medium-rare, you want to pull out of the smoker no higher than 110 internal temp, then sear on the hot grill, with a short foiled rest after.  Check out the previous discussion, and see if you think differently.  I like steak right at the top edge of medium-rare (just barely medium), and pull them off the grill no higher than 130.  So, to account for the extra temp, during the sear, 110 seems reasonable to me.

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TJ

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
Smoking process went well but both wife and I decided we prefer the steaks unsmoked.
But hey, at least we gave it a go:)
Crossville Tennessee

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:50:28 PM »
I think smoking beef produces a different taste, unlike pork or poultry.  I have tried hamburgers a couple of times and really did not like the taste or texture.    So for me, the beef stays on the grill!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »
I, personally, love a smoked steak, but I don't do them in the smoker.  I get some wood smoking on the ol' Weber gasser, and just let the smoke kiss the steaks while grilling.  Perfect - just a hint of smoke, and much easier than getting the smoker dirty for a few steaks!  Hickory or mesquite is my preference.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »
I agree Tony!   I have a small wood box on my weber grill so everything that I grill gets a hint of smoke!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »
I'm lazy, Steve - I just throw a couple of chunks on top of the flavorizer bars! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »
My post may be misleading...I have a (brinkman, I think) cast iron box that I got from HD that sits on the flavorizer bars and I put wood chips in it for smoke.     I have not tried putting a wood chunk on the bars...could be on to something there!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »
I had a box like that, Steve, and just couldn't ever seem to get it to smoke enough (but I may not have been giving it enough time).  I just throw them on the bars, and if they flame, I give 'em a shot of water with my squirt bottle!  I always keep it handy for flare-ups! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
I agree, it does take a while to get the smoke rolling, typically when the grill is really heating up (400F+).   I haven't figured out why a wood chunk can smoke in the SI at 80F, but on the grill the chips need 400+ degrees to smoke!   And I have the cast iron box sitting right on the bars.    I'll have to try eliminating the box and just putting the wood on the bar.  Thanks!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
I agree, it does take a while to get the smoke rolling, typically when the grill is really heating up (400F+).   I haven't figured out why a wood chunk can smoke in the SI at 80F, but on the grill the chips need 400+ degrees to smoke!   And I have the cast iron box sitting right on the bars.    I'll have to try eliminating the box and just putting the wood on the bar.  Thanks!

It's a little more mess, for cleaning, but not that bad.  By the time the grill is hot, smoke is rolling. :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »
I tried a chunk of hickory last night on the grill, "boated" in a foil pouch.  The smoke finally did arrive (and fire), but it seemed like it took a while to get it going.   Maybe I should bypass the foil, but I wasn't sure how to balance the wood chunk on the flavorizer triangle bar.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »
I just drop it in the valley between the bars - a good-size chunk won't fall through.  Seems that one it catches fire, and I give it a bath with the squirt bottle, it doesn't do it again.
Tony from NW Arkansas