Author Topic: Just ordered my permanent sensor  (Read 8726 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Just ordered my permanent sensor
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
OK, I made the plunge.  I read Tony's detailed instructions and the results of +/- 1 degree after Auto Tuning and I am going in :)

I am going to get some oil, a Tungsten 5/8" bit, making a pilot hole 3 " from inside top, and drilling that darn hole for my new probe.  The results I am reading are incredible and I just want that consistency.  I am gearing up for some beef jerky with my new James Jerky dryer, and want to try it with my new probe. 

Yep, Tony, you finally convinced me to drill into my smoker.  I can't believe I am going to do that lol.  I will route my wire down through the electrical cord, as I would have absolutely drilled a hole out the back of the smoker until I read all of the posts. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Just ordered my permanent sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »
Hey Gene, I took the plunge as well. I ordered the new Auber with the internal probe.  It's being delivered this weekend and I'm looking forward to it.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

MNGuy1959

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »
Hi Tony:

I guess we both are getting convinced to do this :).  I have not really seen a 'downside' to this, as the results I am reading are incredible. 

Good luck with your install. 
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »
Great, Gene & Toronto Tony!  It simplifies life a lot!  As far as routing through the cord hole:  If you have the new PID (1200 GPH), it has the large 4mm stereo plug - it might not fit through the cord hole.  The old-style plug will.  With the new plug, you have have to end up drilling out the back anyways.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigbassnutt

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
Tony, I drilled down next to where the cord goes out so you don't see the hole, no need to go through the back panel. If I recall I used the same bit for both holes.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Good to know, Mike!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

MNGuy1959

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 12:16:44 AM »
Hi Tony, Toronto Tony, and Smokester:

Thanks for the heads up.  If I have to drill another hole, no biggie.  I. Just want that darn consistent temp that I have been reading about.  It should arrive tomorrow, so I will be installing shortly.  Looking forward to having one of the best electric smokers on the planet!!

Yes, this weekend is going to be fun, indeed. 
Gene from Minnesota

MNGuy1959

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 12:19:16 AM »
Ok now I feel dumb.  Toronto Tony + Smokester = Same Person.  Sorry for the oversight Toronto Tony.
Gene from Minnesota

MNGuy1959

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 12:20:44 AM »
Hi Mike: 

Thanks for the heads up.  I will do the same and drill towards the bottom by the cord outlet. 
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »
Ok now I feel dumb.  Toronto Tony + Smokester = Same Person.  Sorry for the oversight Toronto Tony.

Hehe...yeah, it gets confusing!  Lots of Tonys around here now!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »
Ordered the Auber with the permanent sensor, but am wondering if there is any real difference in accuracy compared to using the drop in sensor.  I like the internal temp probe but am wondering if the permanent sensor is the "illusion of precision"
Walt from TX but trapped in Central FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »
Ordered the Auber with the permanent sensor, but am wondering if there is any real difference in accuracy compared to using the drop in sensor.  I like the internal temp probe but am wondering if the permanent sensor is the "illusion of precision"

Let me set your mind at ease, Walt - it's no illusion.  I used the drop in probe extensively, as well as the wall-mount probe.  There is no comparison, both in accuracy and ease of use. 

With the drop-in probe, placement can definitely introduce error in the readings.  When you autotune the PID to your box, it will set itself based on the readings from the drop-in probe, in the exact location it's in.  Next time you use the smoker, after autotuning, you will get different readings if you don't have the probe in exactly the same place.  They are small differences, based on the heat zones in the smoker, but rest assured, they will be different.  Plus, the drop in is just one more probe to clean, and is a failure point, due to the possibility of getting water inside the probe.

The wall-mount probe completely eliminates all of that.  First, the autotune settings remain exact, because it reads the temps in precisely the same location, every time.  Next, the back of the probe (where the wire goes in) is behind the back wall of the smoker, so it will never be subject to moisture.

With the drop-in, I had temp swings as much as 2-3°.  I know that's very minor, but I get .5-1° swings with the permanent probe.  Most of the time, it's dead-on where it's set.

Convenience, reliability, and accuracy = permanent probe! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 10:52:17 AM »
Perhaps a poor choice of words. 
I understand that fixed placement of the probe will result in more consistent readings, I just wonder about the effect on the result.
It would seem to me that internal meat temperature is more important than a small variation (2-3 degrees) in temp. Assuming a 225 smoke it is something less than 2%.
All of this is by way of trying to finalize my use of the Auber. I did not use it for my first three smokes (ribs, brisket, chicken) and my SI2 has performed like a champ, but am going to do a turkey breast this weekend and am planning on using the internal probe. I have already made the mods for Auber control. BTW excellent instructions and pictures- Thanks
Since I'm lazy I am wondering if  using the drop-in probe is sufficiently accurate.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »
I see what you mean, Walt.  The stock-controlled SIs do a phenomenal job.  You are absolutely right about "a few degrees" not making any difference, as we tend to focus on internal temp.  I used my stock #1 for almost a year before using an Auber.

The advantage of the Auber & permanent probe is simply convenience and accuracy.  Like I said, having a probe that's mounted in the smoker is as low-maintenance as you can get - just plug it in and go!  Don't even need to clean it!

The advantage to using the Auber, over the analog controller, is flexibility and accuracy.  If you smoke something that requires different temps and times, the 6 steps of the Auber can't be beat.  Almost like "automating" the smoking process.  Also, if you do low-temp smokes, like for jerky, you eliminate the higher temp spikes from the analog controller, so your process is predictable and accurate.

Everything I'm talking about is something you will decide for yourself.  Since you ordered the wall-mount probe, go ahead and install it...you won't regret it.  Do the autotune, and then try it out.  If your opinion of this combo is not positive, let us know!  To me, this takes "Lazy Q" to a whole other level, and makes a fantastic smoker STELLAR! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 04:26:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.  You have been very helpful. Always good to get help from someone who has "been there"