Author Topic: Maverick Probes  (Read 4577 times)

Snoopy

Maverick Probes
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
Hi all,

I have the maverick-732 that has 1 meat probe and 1 grill temp probe. I love that I can set it on the night stand with alarms and monitor temps. My question is how do you clean the probes? Not supposed to submerse them in water. I have been just washing the probes very carefully with soap and hot water and running a wet paper towel over the wires to get any loose bits off of them. Is there a better way to do this? I just don't want to ruin the probes. I'm thinking of buying another meat probe and using instead of the grill temp probe since it would be handy if doing two butts or whatever. I trust the analog dial enough not to monitor box temp. I used it a couple times to see the swings, mine set @225 goes down to about 215 up to 250 but averages out to 225. Any thoughts?
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Maverick Probes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:03 AM »
I have the maverick 732 and pretty much do the same thing...just wipe the probes down real good, but don't submerge.     My original probes (meat and smoker) went bad after about a year - I am pretty sure that the connectors to the wires frayed and I was getting bizarre temp readings.    I purchased replacement probes (they come with 6' of wire!) and I added some Red High Temp RTV Silicone to the connections between the wire and probes.  This has worked well as additional protection to the connections.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
There are moisture resistant (and longer) probes available...I bought several.

~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »
One thing you can do, with any of the probes, is add a little high-temp RTV sealant (from any auto parts store) at the top of the probe (where the wire meets the probe).  The biggest killer of these bulb-capillary probes is water.  I just use a Scotchbrite pad with a little hot water, staying away from the top.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Snoopy

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:08:03 PM »
Got it. Thanks guys. I may get an extra probe just to keep on hand.
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

es1025

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
I would suggest if you are not going to buy an auber and bypass the thermostat to look at thermoworks high heat package.  I bought this package before the auber and have not been disappointed. The K-probes are much better than the maverick probes.

The cost is more but a much better made product.  My probe for the smoker on the maverick failed after 10 smokes. I research and bought the thermoworks.  The cost is about $150. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Elliottbte

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »
One thing you can do, with any of the probes, is add a little high-temp RTV sealant (from any auto parts store) at the top of the probe (where the wire meets the probe).  The biggest killer of these bulb-capillary probes is water.  I just use a Scotchbrite pad with a little hot water, staying away from the top.

DM, can you provide some guidance on how to apply RTV?  How much and over what area?  Do you have a picture you could post?  Do I need to "cure" the RTV in the SI?

Thanks, Brad
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »
Brad...I used RTV on my probe connections and all I did was put on a big enough dab that it completely covered the connection between the wire and the probe.   The RTV provides a bit more insulation and strength to keep the wire from fraying around the connection.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 07:51:31 PM »
Steve got it right, Brad.  Just a little (doesn't take much) at the end of the metal probe where the wire inserts into it.  You are trying to seal the wire connection.  They actually have a little rubber gasket in them, but they don't work well.  The metal probe tube is a "bulb capillary" type of probe, so water inside will destroy it.  Sealing the wire entry point will prevent this.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!