Author Topic: Foil for wood  (Read 10641 times)

jpittssr

Foil for wood
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:07:26 PM »
Can't stand to see this empty section so I will start .
First tip for beginners. Cover the bottom and sides of your wood in foil to prevent flare ups.
Tony has described it as a "Foil boat".
You will get a more uniform longer lasting smoke from your wood.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Foil for wood
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »
Great tip, Ed!

With my #1, I never had any kind of combustion (it had a 350 w element, so it didn't get hot enough to light the wood on fire).  When I started using the test bed #2, I experienced what a 700 watt element could do to a chunk of wood!

Initially, my solution was to "ramp up" the temp slowly.  While this worked, it made the cook more complex than it needed to be.  I have used the foil boat method several times, with no problems.  I'm a foil boat believer! ;D   I guess it adds "just enough" insulation for the bottom of the wood to prevent it from catching on fire.

Also, for new folks:  Resist the urge to open that door during smoking!  These smokers have a very controlled environment.  Air is drawn in through the small hole in the bottom of the smoker, and the big hole in the top is the vent.  This setup controls the amount of "fuel" that gets to the smoldering wood.  When you open the door, you introduce a big blast of fuel, and the wood will likely start to ignite.  Keep the door closed!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jpittssr

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »

Also, for new folks:  Resist the urge to open that door during smoking!  These smokers have a very controlled environment.  Air is drawn in through the small hole in the bottom of the smoker, and the big hole in the top is the vent.  This setup controls the amount of "fuel" that gets to the smoldering wood.  When you open the door, you introduce a big blast of fuel, and the wood will likely start to ignite.  Keep the door closed!

To prevent the urge to open the door I suggest a digital thermometer with a probe for the meat.
They can be had from Walmart and others for $15-$20 and well worth it.

Gene68

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Any pictures or instructions to share for makings the foil "boat"? Getting mine SI this week (#2) and I want to ensure I don't get the belch. Thanks!
Gene from Louisiana

Snoopy

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:49:08 PM »
Can't stand to see this empty section so I will start .
First tip for beginners. Cover the bottom and sides of your wood in foil to prevent flare ups.
Tony has described it as a "Foil boat".
You will get a more uniform longer lasting smoke from your wood.
[/quote

Ah ha, I understand now. I had some of my fruita wood get pretty hot and flare up. I will try this next smoke. Thanks for the tip  :)
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:44:46 AM »
This setup controls the amount of "fuel" that gets to the smoldering wood"/quote]

Air is not the fuel, air is just air.

The fire triangle explains how we get fire; Fuel, Heat Source & Oxygen
A fire needs all three to occur and sustain its self. Removing any one of the triangles elements prevents fire (flames) The vents supply air (oxygen), the wood is the fuel.

Use of foil limits the transfer of heat and starves the wood's surface of oxygen. Lowering smoker temps or soaking wood affects the amount of heat being absorbed, limiting combustion.

Heat actually breaks the wood down into gases. Those gases mix with the oxygen in the air and are ignited by a heat source. If you look closely at a burning match there is a gap between the end of the match and the start of the flame. In that gap, oxygen mixes with flammable gasses being given off of the wood.

Not being critical, I figure not everybody studied fire science. we can talk about the Fire Tetrahedron another time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:12:49 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:41:48 PM »
Hi Gene68.   I am attaching a pic of a sample for the foiling of the wood.   I just make a pouch by bringing the foil up around the sides of the wood, and leave the top open.   This method works well on my #2 to avoid combustion of the wood, or the belch!   When the smoke is done, I will still have a good piece of the wood left over, but it will be charred black. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Gene68

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
Thanks...I Should be getting the #2 this week so that should keep the belch at bay. I would also assume if you put the wood dowels in a foil boat you can shoot straight to 225 for the initial burn versus ramping up over time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:31:13 PM by Gene68 »
Gene from Louisiana

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
Yes, you could use the foil for the wood dowels as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »
Thanks...I Should be getting the #2 this week so that should keep the belch at bay. I would also assume if you put the wood dowels in a foil boat you can shoot straight to 225 for the initial burn versus ramping up over time.

Go straight to 250 for the seasoning burn-in.  At least 3 good-size dowels, and 250 for 4 hours.  No foil, or anything else in the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

WessPort

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
I used foil on the bottom and on the wood box for my first seasoning.  Should I do it again without the foil?

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 07:07:31 PM »
Wouldn't hurt to do a couple more hours without any foil, Wess.  The purpose of the seasoning is to coat all the interior with smoke creosote, to protect it and make it easier to clean.  This also burns off all the machine oil from manufacturing.  This is stainless steel, not stainproof steel, so the coating will help protect the interior from any possible surface rust.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »
Fire requires oxygen.  Simply blocking some holes will reduce flare ups and extend the smoldering phase of the wood burn.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah