Author Topic: Newbie from western MI  (Read 3247 times)

IT_Guy

Newbie from western MI
« on: September 21, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »
Newbie here with a question. Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong forum section.

I purchased a #1 smoker with a cart and a Maverick 733 and a few other small items a coupe weeks ago.

I have had 2 smokes so far, ribs and a whole turkey. I followed suggested procedures from this forum and had great results. The one issue I observed with both smokes was I seem to be always chasing my desired smoker temperature.  I didn’t seem to get the smoker zeroed in temp wise until close to the last hour or so. I tried to adjust the temp about every 45 minutes, and I maybe a bit over attentive just from lack of experience.  Not sure just how important all that is since my results were so good.

I am thinking of maybe an Auber controller as I get a little more experience. I not sure I want to do much for mods to the smoker. I am capable to perform them, but prefer to leave it stock if possible. My question is can I run both of the probes down the smoke vent and plug the smoker into the controller and will the temp be controlled by the AC input to the smoker coming from the controller. Or do I have to cut into the stock temp control system and drill a whole to mount the smoker temp probe? I see reference to that just wonder if that’s a requirement when you purchase the Auber. If I can get temperature controlled within 10-20 deg I would be very happy. Kind of thinking I would get more predictable results of I get a little tighter handle on temperature.

Thanks in advance for any info shared.
Bob

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Newbie from western MI
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
Hi Bob!  Welcome to the club!  You're in the right place!

Your questions are pretty common with these smokers.  First, let me recommend that you not "chase" temperatures.  If you set the dial to 225, the analog controller (stock) will have temp swings around 15-20°.  This is totally normal, and the overall temp will average to what you have it set at.  Nature of the beast.  My advice is to not even worry about box temp (I never do with my #1).  Set your temp and trust that your smoker is doing its thing.  If the results aren't as they should be, then start checking to see if there is a problem.  For example, if you smoke baby back ribs at 235° for 5 hours, and they are nowhere near done, or WAY overdone, start checking.  What you will find is that the results will be consistent with the set temp.  That's the beauty of "Lazy Q;" unlike "traditional" smokers, you really DON'T need to monitor your box temp constantly.

As for the Auber questions:  First, let me say that the Auber PID is a fantastic accessory, but is absolutely NOT required to produce some really good Q in these smokers!  I used my #1 for almost a year before going to the PID, and never had a bad smoke! 

Your question about the probes concerns the box temp probe.  There are two kinds - a removable probe, that you drop down through the top hole and attach to a shelf, and a wall-mount probe, that you permanently install in the back wall of the smoker (requires drilling a hole).  The wall-mount probe is not required, but is a great way to go, if you can handle the install.  Either will work.  And yes, you drop both probes (meat and box) through the top hole, and plug your smoker into the Auber.  It then controls the element, based on the readings it is getting from the probes.

So, bottom line:  Do a few more smokes by monitoring the internal temp of the meat with your Maverick, and don't worry about box temp.  Your life will be much more "stress-free."  Then, if you really want to have that super-tight accuracy, get the Auber.  Either way, you'll end up with some really fine Q!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jpittssr

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
Tony, you said it so well it leaves me speechless. ( that is hard to do)

Hi, Bob welcome to the world of "Lazy Q"

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
Thanks Ed! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

IT_Guy

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »
Tony & Ed, thanks for the feedback.

From my reading here on the forum I kind of expect 20-30 deg +/- temp swings. I did a turkey this weekend and set the internal smoker temp at 240deg on the thermostat. I was seeing temps over  300deg, I kept cutting it back until I was set at 175 -125 deg on the dial and then I was seeing the 240deg I was looking for in the smoker. The smoker was  outside my garage in the sun light and it was maybe 80 degs outside. I did open the door twice to drop the temp fast and try to get it back where I wanted. I did have the temp probe on the bottom shelf next to the turkey.

The time before I did ribs at 235deg for about 5.25 hours and  like you said they were  done perfect and temps ran much closer on the smoker. But the day was an overcast cooler maybe 65 deg day. I had the ribs on the highest shelf and the temp probe on that shelf too,

I guess I have to attribute some of this it to my inexperience.

Thanks for the info on the Auber I think I will take your advise and wait a while. Maybe when the wife asks what I want for  Xmas and birthday, both same day. I will ask her to pick one up.  She has enjoyed the Q so far too.

Have a good one guys.
Bob

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
Hi Bob. Welcome from North Dakota!

One thing to look for in your smoker. Make sure that the small packing cardboard piece has been removed from the inside back of your smoker where the built-in internal smoker probe is located. I did 3-4 smokes with mine before I figured this out and was getting high temp spikes up to 300 like you were.

The other thing that could be happening is that your wood may be combusting. To resolve this you can start smoking at 140 or so for 45 minutes and then crank it up to your desired temperature. Others have had good luck with foiling the bottom half of their wood chunks. I haven't tried this yet, but it makes sense.

I wouldn't ever open the smoker even if it rose up to 300. Opening the smoker lets all that air in and for sure will provide enough oxygen to ignite your wood chunks. Plus it will let all that valuable moisture out of the smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bigbassnutt

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
Hi Bob, one thing that might have caused the high readings on the turkey smoke was having the probe on the bottom shelf, too close to the heating element. It will read more accurate box temps when placed up near the top shelf. I did the permanent probe mount right under the top shelf, but before I did that I clipped the removable probe to the top shelf.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
Bob,

I think your high readings were due to sitting in direct sunlight.  Unfortunately, stainless steel absorbs a lot of heat, in direct sunlight.  Also, as mentioned by others, probe placement played a factor.  You want to keep your box temp probe as high as possible, but not too close to the meat (so the cold meat doesn't cool the probe).

If you experienced combustion of the wood, you would see definite black marks on the door, around the area of the smoke box.  I don't think this was it, in this case.  Sounds to me like you were getting unusually high readings due to the bright sunlight, and then tried to "chase" the temp from there. 

Next time, follow the advice from my first post, with the addition of finding a shady spot for the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:22:32 PM »
Hi Bob. Welcome from North Dakota!

One thing to look for in your smoker. Make sure that the small packing cardboard piece has been removed from the inside back of your smoker where the built-in internal smoker probe is located. I did 3-4 smokes with mine before I figured this out and was getting high temp spikes up to 300 like you were.

The other thing that could be happening is that your wood may be combusting. To resolve this you can start smoking at 140 or so for 45 minutes and then crank it up to your desired temperature. Others have had good luck with foiling the bottom half of their wood chunks. I haven't tried this yet, but it makes sense.

I wouldn't ever open the smoker even if it rose up to 300. Opening the smoker lets all that air in and for sure will provide enough oxygen to ignite your wood chunks. Plus it will let all that valuable moisture out of the smoker.

I have to agree Gregg.  I made the mistake of opening my smoker when I heard the "belch" but learned quickly that all I needed is my foil boat (I think I got that from Tony).  BTW, I am originally from Mandan, so it is great to see a fellow ND'an on here.  I think we may have chatted in here before, but if not, it is a pleasure.  I live in Maple Grove, MN now, but still love my home in ND.  Hopefully, we can share some ideas over these cold winter months. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33:41 PM »
Hey Gene, it is quite possible that we have chatted.

I just ordered my Jerky Dryer too. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm planning a jerky smoke for Sunday.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 12:04:48 AM »
Hi Gregg:

Congrats on your James Jerky Dryer purchase.   I am planning on making my jerky this weekend as well.  Let's compare some notes over in the Jerky section.  I have some pics and I will try to document my process.   Very pleased to have a neighbor up here in the north experimenting with the same interests that I am getting into.   
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!