Author Topic: Lemon Pepper Wings  (Read 2212 times)

wmeister1

Lemon Pepper Wings
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:34:22 PM »
First smoke with my new #2...

Took leftover package of about 30 frozen Sam's Club raw wings and defrosted them for a few days in a bowl in the refridgerator. Drained and dried them with paper towels.

I put them in a zip lock bag and added about a 1/4 cup of Lowerys lemon pepper seasoning from Sam's and let them sit in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. Racked them all on one rack!  Amazing, my old Masterbuilt would take at least 2.  I felt a little stupid, I should have bought a new bag of wings and did them all, waste of 3 other racks.

Added 4 oz of hickory wood to smoker, put wings in top shelf and smoked for 2.5 hours at 250 degrees.
They came out a semi crispy, a little over cooked (shrunken), and a very smoked-> but the best wings that I have ever smoked, hands down.  I think next time I will try 2.25 hours and 3 oz of wood.  I say this, but my family devoured them in 15 minutes...  Try the lemon pepper, very good.

I am amazed at how little wood the smoker needs compared to my old masterbuilt one.  I would have to constantly feed chips to the scoop and feed it in for at least an hour or two to get decent flavor.  Now I am weigh measuring the amount of wood. .  I took the advice of someone else here and went to Harbor Freight and bought a small digital scale for 15 dollars and it was well worth it.  3 oz of wood is a handful for me for those who are interested.

Also, these are so well insulated, I can touch the top and put my beer on there without any worry.  Again, I am amazed, glad the old Masterbuilt unit died and I talked myself and the wife into buying something that is this good.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:46:12 PM by wmeister1 »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Lemon Pepper Wings
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 12:15:43 AM »
Nice job, and congrats on the first smoke!  It is amazing how little wood these take!  I'd recommend 2 - 2.5 oz for something like wings.  3 is actually pushing it, unless you like lots of smoke.  BTW, glad the little digital scale from Harbor Freight worked out for you - you're welcome! ;)

There will be a bit of a learning curve, from what you are used to.  No longer will you have to add chips during a smoke!  The idea, with these, is to keep that door closed, and use as little "human intervention" as possible! 

Add your first name and town to you signature line, if you'd like.  We like to get to know our new family members! 8)

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigbassnutt

Re: Lemon Pepper Wings
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »
I used 2 ounces of cherry wood on my last batch of wings and they were really good. I have a rub that a friend makes for my wings but I am gonna have to try the lemon pepper seasoning, sounds good.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2