Author Topic: New#3 on the way!  (Read 5068 times)

bigfoot21075

New#3 on the way!
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for your never ending help - I APPRECIATE IT! I am really psyched, I sold my Superior SS2 smoker to a disabled owned Veteran BBQ place in VA yesterday. The guy is a stand up guy for sure and I gave him the best deal I could and still pay for my new #3!

If you are in VA be sure to check out Warhorse BBQ!

I ordered my #3 today, I got everything I wanted but the controller. I will wait to save a few more $$ so I can get that too. I am really happy with the decision after researching the zillion that are out there and have not looked this much forward to any new toys in a very long time! I can't wait to post some food pics for you all soon!

I will say, this forum is a large reason I did not go with CS or another brand. I joined some of their forums but they are nothing like the people here. I know this will be a fun new hobby with a great new group of people.

THANKS!
Rob
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:46:28 PM by bigfoot21075 »
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: New#3 on the way!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
Welcome Rob from North Dakota!

I researched a ton of different smokers prior to choosing the Smokin-It too and so glad that I decided on my #3.

I read pretty much 100% of the posts on this thread prior to ordering my smoker and have learned sooooo much from this group.

There are other forums out there that are really good too. But since not all of their methods are appropriate for the Smokin-It style smokers, I pretty much stick with this one forum and occasionally the Smoking Meats forum which is also a good one.

We'll be looking forward to hearing more from you. When you get a chance, introduce yourself over in the Introductions section (if you haven't already done so). We always want to get to know our new members a little better.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:11:06 PM »
Welcome, Rob!  You won't be disappointed!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »
I will say, this forum is a large reason I did not go with CS or another brand. I joined some of their forums but they are nothing like the people here. I know this will be a fun new hobby with a great new group of people.

Congrats, Rob!!  I know you'll be happy with your decision!  Your comment, above, is very kind!  I have to say that I agree!  I also stalked several forums, before finding SI, and felt the same way!  It's new folks, like you, joining the family that make it so fun!

Welcome aboard, and happy smoking! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
Hi Rob,

Congratulations on your investment.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bigfoot21075

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »
WOW!!!! Talk about SUPER fast! They sent me a tracking number - Fed Ex will deliver it all to me TOMORROW!!
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
You'll love the site Big Foot. Get those ribs ready!  :D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »
Great news, Rob!  Season her up, with nothing but a few chunks of the hickory dowels in there, and it'll be smokapalooza this weekend! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bigfoot21075

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:15:50 AM »
Got the number 3 setup in my screen room on my deck fir the ultimate in luxury laxy Q. It arrived in pretty good condition with a small crush in the body on the right front corner. It is way too small to make any difference in function and you have to look for it to see so I am good with it. Everything was packed in the smoker nicely.

I seasoned it on Saturday and decided to pull out all the stops for the first cook and do a Packer Cut Brisket (one of my Big Green Egg Specialties). I purposely did not thermometer the inside of the chamber, I just do not want to know at this point (I am saving for the Auber). I lined the cooker with foil and used a loaf pan with water in it. Seasoned up the briskie and tossed it on at 3:30am!

I got a little paranoid with the smoke (I used three un-weighed hunks of Cherry), and at 150 I wrapped it in paper and let it roll until 192 when it passed the probed test. I yanked it at 3pm and let it rest for 2 hours. This briskie was cut odd and had a very thin edge of flat, that part was pretty dry as expected. I should have trimmed it and had it for a Scooby Snack mid way through.

The rest of the brisket was STELLAR. I needed more smoke so my fears were for nothing. I also should have let it sit seasoned a few hours for better rub penetration so the rub flavor was very light. But the texture and moisture were fantastic with no help required.

I need to refine this new work flow but I am very impressed with just how easy this could have been. I made it way harder than it needed to be with undue fussing about. My only minor quip is that the chimney is a very tight fit for my Maverick MEat probe end (I have to laugh because that is it, the only thing I can come up with).

I assume this is like all my other smokers, that darkening of the inside of the box and grates is valuable seasoning and is best to leave (obviously the floor and smoker box are foil covered and clean).

THANKS AGAIN for everyones help. I promise pics of the nex cook this weekend.....

Rob

jpittssr

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »
Sounds like you have it all together Rob.
We will be looking for pictures.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
Way to jump in head first Rob!

Glad to hear your first smoke was successful.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 07:38:42 PM »
Welcome to Lazy Q, Rob.  Nice job! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
Rob, i take a paper towel to remove any excess grease from the sides and bottom. 

Thats it. I am glad the brisket turned out great.  Big fan of brisket, smoke only flats due to lack of availablity.

Welcome.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?