Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 8634 times)

dsskid

New Owner
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:33:07 AM »
Hi,
I just placed my order for the little guy this morning. 

My previous experience is limited to a cheap charcoal bullet smoker (ribs, sausage, chicken).  The biggest problem I had was keeping the temperature consistant.  The little guy should solve that.

Looking forward to smoking trying my hand with a pork loin, a brisket and possible some cheese (order the cold smoke plate), and of course more ribs, sausage and chicken.

Glad I found this forum, as it is loaded with info and experienced members.  Now to do some reading.
(John)
John, from Long Island, NY

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New Owner
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
Welcome, John!   Your days of frustration over temperature control will soon be over...no worries with SI smokers, just set the temp and let it do its thing!   And the forum is a real resource with lots of good recipes and things to try out.  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

dsskid

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.

i'm looking forward to my next smoke, and trying out some of the tips and receipes posted here

jpittssr

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.

i'm looking forward to my next smoke, and trying out some of the tips and receipes posted here
Welcome to the forum and wishing you many years of great food.

dsskid

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
Thank you.

es1025

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
John
Welcome, another northerner joining the forum

These machine cook great q with little effort. You will spend more time on your recipes than watching the fire.

I might suggest some baby back ribs.  5 hours no peeking, a little water plan and 2 oz of wood, 235 degrees.

Let rest in a cooler wrapped in foil for an hour, then eat.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Truck1

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
Welcome John from a new owner across the sound.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
Welcome John your going to love your SI. Personally I have used all sizes and types of smokers nothing compares to the ease of use and low cost to operate as the SI. Last weekend I was running errands and saw a beautiful offset smoker. I thought "Nice unit but I couldn't be running errands with ribs smoking like I am now" Follow the basics for beginners and all will be well.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
Don't forget about the beloved Boston Butt  ;)

They are probably my favorite meat to smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:53:21 PM »
Welcome, John!!  We're glad to have you join the club!  You're Little Guy will be a Lazy Q machine for you!  I always recommend a good Boston butt pork shoulder for the first smoke (really gives you some long, quality-time, to get to know how your new friend rolls), but anything is good!  Ribs are a great first smoke, or sausage, or chicken, or....  you get it.  Whatever suits your taste is what to make first!

Let us know how we can help, and throw us some pictures of your smokes!  We LOVE pictures around here! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dsskid

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:27:09 AM »
Received the #1 today.  Packaged really well, and arrived safe and sound.  Opened her up, vacuumed it out, and did my seasoning last night. 

First impressions....
* Very well constructed
* Nice design
* More room inside that would appear from the outside. 
* Well insulated.  I fired it up to 250 for four hours as directed with with small piece of wood in box.  Touched outside and only felt slightly warm.
* The cord hook should be standard, but I don't don't know why it isn't.  Looks like I'll have to wait to order one, as the shipping costs more than the hook. 

First smoke coming this weekend.

Wife is going to get me a cart for my birthday. (Nov.  Might be a good time to add in the hook)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:35:27 AM by dsskid »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
Nice, John!  It's like Christmas, but the gift it keeps giving never gets old! :P

Just a tip - you'll probably be OK, but if you seasoned it with just one small chunk of wood, you may want to repeat with a little more.  The idea, during seasoning, is to add enough wood so the smoke is coming out the whole time.  If it was, great!  But, if the smoke stopped before you were done, you might want to go another hour or so with more wood.  You want to get a good coat of smoke on the metal.  Besides, it'll give you a chance to smell that great smell again, before you smoke some meat this weekend! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dsskid

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
Ok, will do.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Glad to see you are up and running, John!    You will not feel much heat from the smoker when you touch the top or sides of the SI smoker; in fact, the top on mine gets hotter because of the sun rather than the heat inside the unit (and boy does it get hot on a sunny day!)   As for the cord hook, I don't have one and don't really feel the need for one...I just wrap the cord and put it on top of the smoker and then cover it with the smokin-it bag.

Good luck this weekend with the first smoke!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

dsskid

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »
Thanks Steve.  I'm pretty excited as well.  I'm going to smoke a small tenderloin and some italian sausage this weekend.  Planning on using that bacon wrapped receipe posted by smokeasaurus.