Author Topic: Just ordered my James Jerky Dryer!!  (Read 8956 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Just ordered my James Jerky Dryer!!
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »
I can't wait to get my new James Jerky Dryer.  I have spent a ton of money buying jerky from the local meat market, and now I can make my own.  I definitely want to try some of the recipes on this forum and will try to document my own experience. 

I just bought a vacuum sealer and jerky slicer from Cabelas, so I am getting pretty excited to try this thing out. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Just ordered my James Jerky Dryer!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
Congrats are in order, Gene!  Good stuff, there!  You are expanding your horizons to uncharted territory, and you'll find the journey rewarding.  Jerky, in these smokers, with the jerky fan is incredible.  Check out some of our jerky recipes, and let us know which ones you like!

Oh, and the vacuum sealer is one of the best purchases you'll never regret! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MNGuy1959

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:08 PM »
Thanks Tony!  I have read up on your brining.  Wow, I am so impressed with the data you came up with.  I am going to try your brining recipe, as well as all of the recipes on the jerky site.  I enjoyed my smoker so much last year, and am so excited to get back into this fun hobby. 

I also just purchased a jerky slicer from Cabelas.  I have one just down the road from me.  I read some of your posts about consistent cuts and thought I need to at least have a standard cutting process.  I debated between the jerky slicer and an electric meat cutter, and landed on the jerky slicer. 

One of my weaknesses has always been jerky.  Whether it is beef, turkey, chicken, or even pheasant.  I have tried many different types of jerky from my buddies, but never have made it myself.  I am actually looking forward to Fall, so I can try out some different recipes.

Yes, life is great!! 
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
Let us know how the jerky slicer works out, Gene.  I've seen them at our Cabela's, but have never used one.  Looks like it would work great.  I'd think you might want to freeze the meat for awhile, just to firm it up, before slicing (like with an electric slicer), but I don't know.  Maybe someone else has one, and can throw you some tips!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

MNGuy1959

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:32:07 PM »
I sure will Tony!  I bought the manual one (jerky cutter), but when I make jerky I will try to show pics of this cutter and my results.  I like the idea of putting the meat in the freezer first to firm up the meat.  I definitely will try that as well.  It will be a work in progress to figure out the right amount of chips and smoke, but I am going to follow the suggestions on here.  I will probably start with 180 for two hours and drop down to 160.  I hope my dryer shows up this weekend :)

Thanks for the tip.  Much appreciated. 
Gene from Minnesota

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 01:13:14 AM »
In my opinion making jerky at temps hotter than 100, you are cooking the jerky not drying it. I want to remove the moisture not cook it. If I lived in Arizona I would string some wires in the screen porch and hang it outside. Since I live in Michigan, I use the jerky dryer with the #3 set to 100. Check out my jerky postings, there are pictures of the results.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »
I sure will Tony!  I bought the manual one (jerky cutter), but when I make jerky I will try to show pics of this cutter and my results.  I like the idea of putting the meat in the freezer first to firm up the meat.  I definitely will try that as well.  It will be a work in progress to figure out the right amount of chips and smoke, but I am going to follow the suggestions on here.  I will probably start with 180 for two hours and drop down to 160.  I hope my dryer shows up this weekend :)

Thanks for the tip.  Much appreciated.

I smoke at 145 the whole time.  160-180 will cook, not dry.  I know Brian uses 100, but I don't want to wait that long.  At 1440-145, there are absolutely no signs of the jerky being "cooked;" it is dry, and almost translucent.  I don't think you can see through cooked meat. ;)   I've tried it at 160+, and it definitely cooks at that temp!  140-ish speeds the process, but doesn't cook (imo).
Tony from NW Arkansas

MNGuy1959

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »
See, this is why I love this site.  So I am gearing up for my first jerky smoke.  OK, I definitely will not go above 140.  Hey, if it is a bit dry, at least I tried, and I can make my next batch lower.  I will take a few pics of my process with the new jerky slicer.  That thing has some darn sharp blades.  I purchased some cut resistant gloves so i can clean the thing. 

I am taking the easy way out my first go around.  I purchased a jerky kit from Cabelas and will use that for my marinating process.  I am slicing the jerky tomorrow and will marinate it, but am waiting for my permanent probe to arrive, before I put it in the smoker, so I can get consistent temps. 

I purchased two eyes of round beef roast that looks fairly lean that I can slice up. 

Gene from Minnesota

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33:37 PM »
Smoking jerky set at 100, I hit spikes as high as 156. If you set at 140 your spikes can be considerably higher than that. Yes I know the average will be 140'ish but it could be avoided by setting it lower. A full freeze and partial thaw gets you the perfect slicing texture for me.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

MNGuy1959

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
Hi Brian:

Thanks so much for the suggestions.  I do have an Auber, so I don't see spikes vary that much.  Generally, my variance is no more than +/- 2 or 3 degrees.  I will try the smoker at 140 and if I notice the meet getting to dry, I will certainly drop it down.  I guess this is what makes jerky smoking fun and also challenging. 

I have never done this before, so I will certainly let you know the results.

Gene from Minnesota

GeeBee

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
Gene,
One last bit of advice (it may already be too late). How you slice the meat seems to me to make a huge difference. I've sliced with the grain and across the grain. One way seems to me like the jerky is way hard to bite off and chew, the other way is much more pleasant to eat. That's just my personal opinion.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Smoking jerky set at 100, I hit spikes as high as 156. If you set at 140 your spikes can be considerably higher than that. Yes I know the average will be 140'ish but it could be avoided by setting it lower. A full freeze and partial thaw gets you the perfect slicing texture for me.

Great point about spikes, if not using the Auber!  I never really thought about the high-end spikes that you might get with the stock controller.  Great tip, Brian!
Tony from NW Arkansas

MNGuy1959

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 12:26:20 AM »
Hi Gary:

Well I read your post right after slicing my jerky with my Cabela's jerky slicer.  So, I did both.  Most are with the grain, but I do have some sliced against the grain.  I will report my results this weekend.   Thanks for the 'heads up' though.  Much appreciated!
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
Gene,
One last bit of advice (it may already be too late). How you slice the meat seems to me to make a huge difference. I've sliced with the grain and across the grain. One way seems to me like the jerky is way hard to bite off and chew, the other way is much more pleasant to eat. That's just my personal opinion.

I'm personally a "with the grain" guy!  Love to tear off those long strips of jerky goodness!  I find it stays a little more "intact" when sliced with the grain.  Nothing wrong with cross-grain - just have to experiment for your own preference.
Tony from NW Arkansas

MNGuy1959

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 09:48:23 AM »
Thanks everyone for all of the great advice.  Installing the permanent probe today, auto tuning, then to my first jerky smoke.  It is a gorgeous day for smoking jerky here in Minnesota. 
Gene from Minnesota