Author Topic: Decent single probe thermometer?  (Read 3329 times)

TARDISgirl

Decent single probe thermometer?
« on: September 01, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
I know I'll eventually get either a Maverick or an even invest in an Auber, but I'm not at a point where I can shell out $70+ on a thermometer. I was perusing Amazon for a single probe thermometer, and they are MUCH more in my current price range. Any suggestions on what to look at, or what to stay away from? I'm trying to keep cost to about $35 or less if possible.
Thanks!
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Decent single probe thermometer?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 07:45:50 PM »
I used a single probe Acu-Rite remote digital for years, before going to the Maverick.  It just monitors meat temp, and isn't wireless (you actually have to go outside to look at the temp), but it's very accurate - and affordable.

http://smile.amazon.com/AcuRite-0648SB-Digital-Grill-Thermometer/dp/B000NPPLGU/ref=sr_1_119?ie=UTF8&qid=1409615675&sr=8-119&keywords=acu-rite
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:55:17 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
I understand you trying to save a few bucks. I have killed two cheaper models while trying to save a few bucks. If money is a factor go without and save for the Maverick. Ribs don't need a thermometer, and a pork butt is done when you can pull the bone out. Wait for the good one.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
I understand you trying to save a few bucks. I have killed two cheaper models while trying to save a few bucks. If money is a factor go without and save for the Maverick. Ribs don't need a thermometer, and a pork butt is done when you can pull the bone out. Wait for the good one.

+1

If you are able to spend half of the money ($35) on a cheaper model, I would recommend waiting until you can afford the other $35. Smoke some ribs that go more by time until you can get the Maverick.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jpittssr

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »
I know I'll eventually get either a Maverick or an even invest in an Auber, but I'm not at a point where I can shell out $70+ on a thermometer. I was perusing Amazon for a single probe thermometer, and they are MUCH more in my current price range. Any suggestions on what to look at, or what to stay away from? I'm trying to keep cost to about $35 or less if possible.
Thanks!
Walmart has a digital single probe for about $16

bigbassnutt

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »
I originally had the one from walmart and it worked really well for about a year then died, now I have the maverick but hardly use it because the Auber tells me what I want to know.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

mnsmoker

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
I have 2 of the walmart single probes I used with my stick burner for years they still work and were a good deal at 12 something but I don't use them since going with the auber.
Jim from Minnesota

es1025

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
Save your money and buy a thermoworks instant read thermometer. The cost is around $100 but it's awesome. 

I ended up buying the high heat thermometer kit, works great.   
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?