Author Topic: Wood storage and moisture  (Read 2678 times)

jpittssr

Wood storage and moisture
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
Some of you may have bought wood from American Wood Products and be familiar with their website. For the rest of us here is a link: http://www.americanwoodproducts.net/wood-guide/moisture-content.htm

This is a good site if you have questions about wood for smoking.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Wood storage and moisture
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »
I learned a lot from their site, when studying wood awhile back.  Great refresher - good info!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
From the info on American wood products would you say that if your wood is dried out[ambient conditions, long term, South  La.] that it would be better for the smoke penetration to have soaked your wood before hand?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
Mickey, soaking chunks is not necessary, and actually a little counter-productive.  The water will not penetrate very deep in the wood, and just make the surface wet.  When we start with a cold smoker, and cold meat, wet wood is no good - takes too long to dry out enough to smoke.  If your wood is too dry, try wrapping the bottom of the chunk with foil (like a little foil boat).  It will prevent the dry wood from combusting. 

Many do, however, soak chips.  This helps them not catch fire - a more controlled smolder.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »
What I am doing  now (and I think Divot suggested it) is I keep my wood chunks in a Tupperware container with a good seal top.   I added a baggie with a wet cloth instead of the container, working on the assumption that the moisture from the cloth keeps the container (and wood) moist.  Tony is right about soaking chunks...doesn't work since the water doesn't really penetrate the wood.   I also use the foiled boat method around my wood when it goes into the smoker box.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2