Author Topic: High temp swing with Auber  (Read 2413 times)

jpittssr

High temp swing with Auber
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »
I just had the jeebers scared out of me!

Put ribs on this morning @ 6am program to cook at 235 with 2.6 oz of hickory. I planned on cooking up to 6hrs with a check at 5 hrs.
At 7am I noticed the smoker temp was 245.
All kinds of thoughts went through my head. Surely my Auber had gone bad.
After investigation I figured it out, I think.
I put 2.6 OZ of hickory in the box. this was two small pieces. I looked in the box and both pieces were almost gone. I think they must have ignited and added the extra heat. Probably if I had not been watching so close the temp would have come back down and finished the cook.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: High temp swing with Auber
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »
Yep.  If you get combustion, temp will definitely spike, regardless of Auber or analog controller.  I'm sure the Auber was off when it spiked, and waiting for the temp to get back in range.  Try ramping-up the temp slowly, or foil-wrap your wood, to eliminate the combustion.  The elements in the 2 and 3 can catch the wood on fire, if taken directly to cooking temp.  Also, try putting your chunks in the middle of the smoke box, where they are not over any of the holes in the bottom.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
I think as my unit has become more seasoned, I've gotten less combustion.  I think as the door seal becomes tighter you get less air and less chance of combustion.

I think the dryness of the wood also affects it quite a bit.

Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

es1025

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:51:57 PM »
I started my auber at 180 for 30 minutes, then my desired temperature. I found i get a nice smoke and the temps stay level. I did find the temp go up by a couple of degrees then goes back down in the beginning of the smoke.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jpittssr

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »
Yep.  If you get combustion, temp will definitely spike, regardless of Auber or analog controller.  I'm sure the Auber was off when it spiked, and waiting for the temp to get back in range.  Try ramping-up the temp slowly, or foil-wrap your wood, to eliminate the combustion.  The elements in the 2 and 3 can catch the wood on fire, if taken directly to cooking temp.  Also, try putting your chunks in the middle of the smoke box, where they are not over any of the holes in the bottom.

I did ramp up @ 140 for .5 however this hickory was powder dry when i bought it so i soaked two pieces over night.
Common sense tells me that the moisture slowed down the heat up of the wood until it was past the ramp temp and started into the 235 area then the flame up.
I think the foil around the wood is the answer.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »
Should work well, for really dry wood, Ed.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!