Author Topic: Woods Offered through SI  (Read 2752 times)

TARDISgirl

Woods Offered through SI
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »
I was looking at getting some more wood (powering through my sample bag) and saw the Sugar Maple offered on the SI website.  I am looking for a versatile wood, but I am hoping to avoid needing to split the chunks down to size for the time being.  Is the wood cut to fit in the SI models, and would the Maple be a good wood experiment with?

Thanks!
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Woods Offered through SI
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
Yes it fits in the smoker, if it is sold by SI. As to the taste, we like it. Sugar Maple is a light wood, no bitter notes or funky build up on the meat. We tried SI's Sugar Maple, then have saved nearly 100 pounds of our own trees that were recently trimmed. That wood is aging under my work benches. We have gone through nearly 5 pounds of SI's SM blocks since we got the smoker in June. We use it for nearly everything.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

vetkilr

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
Dang I might have to try it. I recently bought black cherry wood pellets. I put them in foil with a small hole and the ribs I just made were awesome. If you haven't tried cherry wood you should soon.

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »
Cherry and apple can be used for just about anything so they are probably the most versatile.

Hickory is also very versatile but a bit stronger than the cherry and apple.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »
Cherry and apple can be used for just about anything so they are probably the most versatile.

Hickory is also very versatile but a bit stronger than the cherry and apple.

Tastes in wood are very subjective, just like other tastes.  For example, I love cherry on just about anything, hickory on absolutely anything, and apple on nothing (can't stand the taste of apple smoked meat).  Weird, but true!  We all need to find "our" woods! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!