Author Topic: Maine Grilling woods  (Read 25928 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Maine Grilling woods
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »
Hickory/Cherry combo is an awesome mix and my favorite so far.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2015, 04:34:26 PM »

+1! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »

+1!
I love to mix multiple woods and now that I smoke with wood measured in ounces, it gets a lot more difficult to get all the flavors I'd like into the wood box. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

es1025

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »
I have been using the Maine grilling woods for a eight to ten smokes now and the smoke and burn is so much better than the fruitawood.  Don't shoot the messenger but that's the way it is.  I have used cherry and apple and after the smoke there is only ashes, the other product has some residual chunks remaining.   Just figured I share my experience.  I ended up buying there 3 bag sampler.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 08:39:14 PM »
Good insight, Ed!  I use both, but really haven't noticed a difference.  Maybe could have to do with the "particular" batch you got?  I don't know... But, I order all mine from MGW now.  I just find the selection a little better than Fruitawood.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 07:31:57 AM »
I am working through the sampler packaged that I got from MGW.    The wood I got from fruitawood was fine, but it's just too much and will take a long time to use it all up.   I like the idea that MGW sells a smaller package of wood.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 10:13:43 AM »
On a similar note.  Which is better (if at all).  The wood from Steve after a cook looks like charcoal.  The MGW's I use turn to dust after a smoke.  Both, when foiled, sometimes experience belch.

Thoughts?

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
On a similar note.  Which is better (if at all).  The wood from Steve after a cook looks like charcoal.  The MGW's I use turn to dust after a smoke.  Both, when foiled, sometimes experience belch.

Thoughts?

Naa...  Can't read too much into it.  All wood is different, and I've experienced both of what you mentioned in the same batch of wood from one supplier!  I can't begin to explain why some chunks turn to ash, and some come out like charcoal, but I've also thought it was a little weird!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »
I'll throw my opinion in, not that it worth much, but my bet is that the ash wood was at some point on fire.  I only conclude that from the results of logs in the campfire ring.  When you wake up in the morning, many of the logs have become ash and a few around the edge might be charcoal. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:41 AM »
After reading the reviews I bought a three pack from Maine Grilling Woods. They let you choose three different kinds of woods. I went with Black Cherry, Wild Apple and DownEast Hickory.

I also ordered a bag of Mulberry from Iowa off of Amazon, I will be trying out the Mulberry and the Black Cherry tonight on 3.5 lbs of wings.

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 11:36:37 AM »
If these are new types of wood for you, I recommend not blending them yet. Try each wood by itself using a rub you have had before. That way you get to know each woods flavor profile before blending them.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
Does anybody besides smokin-it sell wood chunks that are fully pre-cut for the smokin-it so cutting is not necessary. It's not something I want to do.
I use an old wood chisel and hammer .
[I[I .............

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »
I tried a chisel and it didn't work well for me. I now use a camp hatchet and a hammer and it works much better.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »
In a perfect world if you had a band saw that would be even better. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 01:33:02 PM »
I use a Mayhew 2-3/4 in. x 9 in. Guardian Handguard Electrician Chisel. You can pick one up at Homedepot for $11.00 and it works great on chunks.

Greg