Author Topic: Brined Country-Style Pork Ribs  (Read 11718 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Brined Country-Style Pork Ribs
« on: July 27, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
Smoke 6 1/2 lbs of country-style ribs today.  For those of you that don't know what those are, they are just a bone-in Boston butt pork shoulder that's been sliced into 1" slabs (ribs).

I brined them overnight in my pork butt brine.  I did add about 1/2 tsp. of pink #1 instacure to the brine this time (not sure why, just seemed like a good idea at the time).  I should have only brined these about 6 hours, but I didn't want to get up at 4 am to get them in the brine!  So, early this morning, I dumped the brine and replaced it with fresh cold water.  The ribs soaked in the plain water (to remove a little of the salt in the brine) until 10 am.

Out of the brine (water), the ribs were treated to a yellow mustard slather and a good coat of Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  Then, into the smoker with a water pan (no apple juice on hand, had to use water) and 3 oz. of cherry.

The Auber was set to run at 225 until the IT was 193.  This took 5:10 to reach 193.  At that point, the ribs were double-wrapped in HD foil and put in the cooler to rest.

While the ribs were resting, I whipped-up a batch of good ol' taters and onions!  Chopped potatoes, chopped onions, in canola oil until brown.  I use a cast iron dutch oven for this - works great!

All in all, it was a fine meal!  The ribs were moist and tender, and the taters & onions were great!  Country-style pork ribs are cheap, and an easy smoke.  I recommend them to anyone looking for an easy smoke, and some great pork!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Brined Country-Style Pork Ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 11:00:35 PM »
Hey Tont, that is an interesting smoke. Looks easy enough, but something I never heard or thought of. I have a pork loin in the freezer, can I use the same method for that cut of meat, or do you recommend otherwise?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »
Tony, my pork loin method is a little different (even the brine is, too).  Here it is:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1864.0

This one used Jeff Philips' rub, but Dave's rib rub is great, too.  I only smoke to 155, then reverse-sear on the grill.  Works out great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »
I got 4 lbs of country ribs to try on Friday.  Brine, mustard and rub before smoke.

Can someone confirm finish temp on these?  I have seen anywhere from 175 to 195 posted here and other sites (Jeff).

Does the 1 1/2 hour per pound apply on these?

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »
I got 4 lbs of country ribs to try on Friday.  Brine, mustard and rub before smoke.

Can someone confirm finish temp on these?  I have seen anywhere from 175 to 195 posted here and other sites (Jeff).

Does yours look like Tony's?  We've discussed this cut on another thread and it is very different depending on what part of the country you are in.  In my park of the country, Tony's are called pork steaks.  My country style ribs are 2" X 2" X 9".  The dimension difference between the 2 would make a big difference on what my finished temp would be.  I go to the 195 end of your range. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »
Here in ND, we have what are called Blade Steaks. These are basically just bone-in 3/4"-1" sliced Boston Butt and are about the size of a large Ribeye.

We also have Country Style Ribs which generally are 2X2X9 like Dave mentioned, although depending on the merchant I have seen some of them more like 1.5" squares.

I haven't tried these yet, but they are on my short list of things to try.

I think the brine is very important, because with all the surface area of a Country Style Rib, taking to 190+ internal I would start worrying about them drying out a bit.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »
These are about 1 1/4 square x 7 inches.  Some you can see the bottom end bone, some I think its inside.

I'll shoot for 190 and foil to rest.

Planning on just dry rubbed like I do ribs.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:05:24 PM »
I plan on doing country style ribs this weekend but plan in doing them on the grill. 

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
Looking good! I love country style spare ribs. We have them everywhere in Florida. My favorite is to marinade them in teriyaki sauce over night and cook them on the grill with homemade Chinese fried rice cooked inside. They are relatively lean and will overcook and dry out pretty fast so they have to be watched. Next time I will try brining and smoking them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:27:30 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
Arnie,
Do you have World Market stores there in Florida?  I buy a Char Siu marinade for mine and make the pretty, red Asian ribs, stir fry and rice.  Even though I'm going grill master this weekend, I'll post some pics. 

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
I used to have World here Dave, but the one by me closed. I love Char Siu. Used to order Char Siu Ding in the restaurant. I just saw a recipe for it recently. I will look for it. Also, I have loads of Chinese food stores here and I am sure I can can get it. I will try that too and let you know.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
That, Tony, looks to me like happiness on a plate. I used to do these on the gasser and haven't tried them in the SI yet.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:38:57 PM »
I want to know how he made the taters.  Oven roasted and covered in bacon?

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 08:18:04 PM »

I do them to at least 190, since they're just a sliced Boston butt - gotta render that fat!  The 1.5 hour rule doesn't apply, as they're much smaller pieces.  I usually find (depending on the thickness) 00:45 to 1:00 hour per pound.  Just have to probe one, from the end.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:20:18 PM »
That, Tony, looks to me like happiness on a plate. I used to do these on the gasser and haven't tried them in the SI yet.  :)

Definitely a winner, Bob! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas