Author Topic: Looking at adding AMNS to #3 - what size?  (Read 5698 times)

restorick2378

Looking at adding AMNS to #3 - what size?
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
While I'm patiently waiting for my #3 to arrive, I've been reading about the A-Maze-N smoker add in for the #3 so I can burn pellets, chips or dust.  What size works best?

If you're using one, please post a pic if you can.

Thanks in advance.
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin
#3 with Auber PID - Lazy-Q heaven on earth!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Looking at adding AMNS to #3 - what size?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »
From what I have read the Smokin-It smokers are too air tight to effectively use the A-Maze-N smoker. The ones that have used it have had to drill holes in their smoker to allow for more air flow to keep the pellets/dust lit.

Unless you have a bunch of pellets already and want to use the A-Maze-N smoker, I personally wouldn't bother with it.

The A-Maze-N smoker really shines with cold smoking. Outside of cold smoking, I don't see why you would need or even want smoke for that long in a typical smoke. We know that meat can only absorb smoke until it reaches and internal temp of 140 degrees. After that the smoke just piles on the meat and gives it a bitter taste.

The Smokin-It smokers really give off a lot of smoke from very little wood. We measure in ounces instead of pounds of wood.

If you like to do a lot of cold smoking, you can buy the cold smoke plate from Smokin-It and use wood chips with the chip insert. You won't get the extended smoking time that you would with an A-Maze-N smoker, so you would have to add chips periodically during the smoke.

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but you may be able to get enough air flow to use the A-Maze-N smoker if you used it in conjunction with the James Jerky Dryer. This way you wouldn't have to drill holes in your smoker that would actually be bad for traditional hot smokes.

One of the features I love about this smoker is that it is air tight and holds the moisture in while smoking meats that have a tendency to dry out. So, drilling holes in the floor of my smoker is not an option for me.

This is my 2 cents anyway.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

mnsmoker

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »
I agree with Gregg these smokers are way to air tight to keep the pellets burning and the best thing about these is the tiny bit of wood your use on each smoke, 2-3 ounces for ribs 4-6 for pork butts, that translates back to cost per smoke and thats pennies not dollars. When you get your #3 break it in then try a bunch of smokes using the tried and true methods found in this forum they work. As I write this I'm putting 2 racks spares in the #2 using cherry wood for a visual reference I'm using a piece about half the size of a a deck of cards, didn't way this piece but from past experience should be just right, as you can see that's a couple cents worth of wood... keep it simple and you'll be very happy with your smoker!
Jim from Minnesota

restorick2378

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
Both of you make perfect sense.  I'll work with it for a while before doing any more mods.

Thanks to you both - have a great weekend!
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
Let me throw my 2ยข in too, Rick - DON'T DO IT!  OK, got that out of my system...whew, I feel better!  Seriously, it is NOT necessary.  There are too many people out there, on some other forums, that are never happy with something that works incredibly well, and feel the need to "mod" anything they get!  Unless you drill some big air holes in the bottom (which, btw, will void your 3-year warranty), the AMNPS won't work.  Besides, chunks is the way to go with these smokers!  Great consistency, and it takes so little, a bag of chunks will last a LONG time!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GeeBee

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »
Bottom line, the AMNS is a gadget designed to make inferior smokers work like they're supposed to. The AMNS is not needed with a smoker that works properly, ........like the Smokin-It smokers.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
I definitely wouldn't add an A-Maze-N unless you find a very specific reason for doing so.
I sometimes use an A-Maze-N tube smoker in the #4 (without any modifications) because I have a need for 10-12 hours of thin steady cold smoke when smoking hams and the like....that's not possible when using chunks, not without fuss and bother anyway.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:46:03 AM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

restorick2378

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for talking me off the ledge!   ;D

My #3 shows that it's on the truck for Monday delivery.  In the meantime, I'll be brining a brisket that will be my first smoke after break in.  I'm guessing sometime on Tuesday, I'll make my maiden voyage.

Thanks again!
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 02:15:28 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of that smoked brisket. Happy times are ahead Rick.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

dert

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:59:16 PM »
I have the 6 x 8" amazing smoker...

I have only used it when smoking fish without the main burner on.  Plenty of air and it doesn't heat up the box.  I also have a cold smoking plate but it doesn't work very well as the upper portion got way too hot for cheese that I was smoking.

Fits fine...

Muttley

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »
I have one, I use it in my smoker and in the weber, you could cold smoke in a card board box if you wanted to.  In my #2 it will go out so I pump air in via an extra aquarium pump I have. 

I pretty much only use it for cold smoking though. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:05:39 PM by Muttley »