Author Topic: Boneless Beef Ribs  (Read 3828 times)

WeekendWarrior

Boneless Beef Ribs
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »
My wife likes boneless ribs on occasion so I thought I would try smoking some.  Haven't been able to find much here.  Anyone like to make some suggestions on wood, time, temp, rub or marinate them?
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Boneless Beef Ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »
I think your taking about boneless short ribs? If so this may help, http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1789.0 Those were bone in but seasoning would be the same. Your cook time will be somewhat shorter.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

GeeBee

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »
He might be talking about what they call "country style boneless ribs", here in Ohio. I see these a lot in grocery stores here. In reality they are pork butt, cut into boneless "ribs". I've never smoked any, but I guess I'd treat it just like pork butt, except a lot less smoking time.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
Boneless BEEF ribs

AKA
Boneless Country-Style Ribs
Chuck Short Ribs
Boneless Short Ribs
Boneless Braising Ribs
English Short Ribs
Middle Ribs

These normally come from the Chuck or Shoulder I believe.

In the past, I've grilled them on high heat, then braised them for several hours to make them tender and finished them with bbq sauce.

Not sure if I should just smoke them for 2-3 hours, then braise them in the smoker for another 2 or what?

I'll post some pictures of them when I unwrap them.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Computer Geek

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »
I've done boneless beef "country style" ribs on the gasser before, Bruce, but not in the SI (shame on me, but so many meats to smoke, and so little time!).  Beef country-style ribs commonly come from the chuck eye roll, which is also the source of the famous Delmonico steak, and chuck eye steaks (they're cut off of one end first).

Chuck, if cooked too quickly, can be tough (in my experience).  If I were going to smoke these, I would start with a marinade or brine, rub of choice (or just a simple salt and pepper), then slow smoke them at 225 to around 140, then maybe a quick sear on the grill.  These are thick enough to get a thermometer in, unlike pork ribs.  Low and slow would be the way to go.

By the way, here's a pretty cool reference on meat (this page is on the ribs):

http://www.beefinnovationsgroup.com/Valuecuts/chuckroll/#/bonelessCountryStyleRibs
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
Well I did the ribs today, somewhat followed the recipe on amazingribs.

Started at 12:30
Hit 160 IT at 2 hours 2:30
Hit 170 IT at 4.5 hours 5:00
Hit 180 IT at 5.0 hours 5:30
Hit 190 IT at 5.5 hours 6:00

I also threw in 3 potatoes.

Was kind of worried that 5.5 hours would be a bit long on the potatoes but they turned out great.

The ribs were excellent, almost fork tender, but still with a bit of bite to them.

Did 1.5 oz of cherry wood and 1 oz of hickory.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:27:15 PM by WeekendWarrior »
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Computer Geek

TexasSMK

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
Giving these a try today! Here is what I am doing?  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5881.0 Hope they come out good.
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber